Tik Tok and it's Pros and Cons on the music industry | Teen Ink

Tik Tok and it's Pros and Cons on the music industry

April 14, 2021
By Anonymous


One day I was scrolling through tik tok and I ran into Nicki Minaj’s new feature on What That Speed Bout and it inspired me to find artists like her promoting their music on the app. Artists worldwide use TikTok as a platform to present their music. Over the past couple of years, TikTok has recently had a great impact on the music industry.

TikTok has become a great platform to promote music and many underrated gained a spotlight through this app. There has been a widespread of artists who have recently gained recognition because of this app. According to How the TikTok Boom Has Impacted the Music Industry, many musicians depend on the platform to promote their music, which ultimately increases their popularity. An example of this is Lil Nas X’s hit single Old Town Road, which went viral on TikTok for its unique dance, which stayed number 1 on Billboard for 19 weeks! Another artist who blew up on TikTok was Conan Gray, a young artist whose song Heather suddenly went viral on TikTok and eventually landed on billboards due to TikTok and was nominated for the best breakthrough artist at the Streamy Awards in 2019. Both of these phenomenal artists would’ve never made it this far within their music career if it wasn’t for their music platform becoming sensational on TikTok. 

Although TikTok has become a substantial platform for artists to promote their music. It comes with the consequence of popular influencers creating new music without having any musical background which overshadows musicians who have worked hard to gain recognition on the platform. An example of this is Obsessed by Addison Rae, who gained publicity from TikTok, and has obtained over 70 million followers, admitted that she didn’t have any background knowledge on the music industry itself. However, artists who originated with a smaller platform such as Catie Turner, who auditioned for American Idol in 2017, haven't acquired as much recognition for her within the three years she has been involved in the music industry. While Addison Rae, who has only recently released her music has over a million monthly listeners on Spotify. Therefore, underrated artists sometimes don’t get enough recognition within the music industry.

Overall There is a multitude of different pros such as underrated artists becoming successful such as Conan Gray and Lil Nas, and cons such as underrated artists being overshadowed by popular influencers, for example, Addison Rae overshadowing Catie Turner. There are a wide variety of impacts within the music app TikTok that ultimately made great changes within the music industry.

 

Works Cited

“How the TikTok Boom Has Impacted the Music Industry: MI.” Musicians Institute Hollywood, 5 Mar. 2021, www.mi.edu/in-the-know/tiktok-boom-impacted-music-industry/.

Vaynshteyn, Gina. “The Internet Has a Lot of Feelings About Addison Rae's New Song, ‘Obsessed.’” Distractify, Distractify, 20 Mar. 2021, www.distractify.com/p/obsessed-addison-rae-song-writer.


The author's comments:

this piece was written by me and a classmate (who also prefers to stay anonymous). we actually did this as a school assignment but it turned out to be very fun to work on. This piece was inspired by well, tik tok since it's a trending topic right now and we realized the impact it had on the music industry through these past years that it has been out.