The Nature of the Mind | Teen Ink

The Nature of the Mind

October 17, 2022
By theholypanda SILVER, Queens, New York
theholypanda SILVER, Queens, New York
7 articles 2 photos 0 comments

The mind is a fascinating creature of its own. There are billions of neurons and neuroplasticity that connects them to make us humans. Each of these neurons make up a different part of the brain which has different functions, but what if one part of the brain is severely damaged. How does it affect how we as humans interact with our environment and space? How does it affect our daily course of life? These are all questions that psychologists and neurologists have been trying to answer for ages. 


Thankfully, through the pursuit of advanced technology, we’re able to take steps towards answering that very question. Advances in technology help us better understand our brains  and how they function. Brain structures are malleable and can change within time through different experiences. One instance was the British cab drivers and athletes. Researchers investigated the differences in brain structure between normal people, British cab drivers, and athletes. Turns out, British cab drivers and athletes have different parts of their brain lighting up because they use that region of the brain more often than normal people. 


If people have different brain structures due to different experiences, is it possible that these experiences can make them evil? The debate of the century: nurture vs nature has an immense influence on how we develop in the future. Some say that nature has a greater influence since there are certain genes that determine personality and characteristics. Others say that nurture has a greater influence since the environment that the individual grows up in is carried with them throughout their life. For instance, childhood trauma affects health and the wellbeing of an individual. People use that as an excuse to justify why serial killers commit such unjust acts, but can this really be a justification? What if they have some bits of morality, but they choose to do such unjust acts? 


A famous literature, Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde mirrors this issue. Stevenson shows the duality of human nature through Dr. Jekyll and Mr.Hyde, with Dr. Jekyll represents angelic and Mr.Hyde represents his dark and evil side. Dr. Jekyll drinks the potion, exposing the true nature of himself that he has tried to hide away for so long.