Affirmative Action and Me | Teen Ink

Affirmative Action and Me

August 31, 2023
By darkbrandon SILVER, Princeton, New Jersey
darkbrandon SILVER, Princeton, New Jersey
8 articles 0 photos 0 comments

As college application season approaches, the impending impact of SCOTUS's ruling weighs heavily on my mind. Will affirmative action stay or go? And while this attempt at remedying unlawful discrimination comes with many nuances, I believe it has to stay. 

Contrary to popular belief, affirmative action isn't anti-Asian. Data from the U.S. Department of Education shows that Asians have the highest college enrollment (59%) among all races. Additionally, a Georgetown University study revealed that Asian Americans actually benefit from affirmative action when standardized test scores are not the sole consideration, allowing for a more holistic evaluation.

Moreover, we have to recognize that affirmative action, like the model minority myth, is a tool white supremacists deploy to drive wedges between the BIPOC community. Claiming that black students “steal” spots not only weaponizes the college process but also minimizes their hard work. 

Black excellence doesn't cause Asian "failure." The study by Duke economist Peter Arcidacono on Harvard admissions sheds light on the true injustices: legacy admissions, where applicants with alumni parents are 15 times more likely to be accepted, and sports recruitment, which is over 70% white (2019). 

While imperfect, affirmative action recognizes the systemic, institutionalized nature of American racism and represents our best chance of progress. Plus, If the past really has no bearing on the present, why should legacy admissions exist? 

 

 


The author's comments: