Scars | Teen Ink

Scars

February 5, 2024
By Anonymous

Scars can come in many shapes, forms, and for different reasons. We ourselves can have physical scars that can be seen with our eyes but we can also have scars unseen by the human eye. I myself have both. I have physical scars that you can see from playing sports and rough housing with my older brother as a kid. These are normal and understandable. I think this happens to the best of us and always gives a good story and laughs at times. Remembering the games that it happened at or doing the dumbest thing with my brother not thinking in the slightest he or I may be hurt and this may not be the best idea. 

 I have unseen scars that I hold deep within myself. No one else can see them and most won’t know they are there. Scars from kids at school for being mean about one thing or another that they find funny would be one example. They say, “stick and stones will break your bones but names will never hurt” isn’t so true. Names hurt! They probably hurt more because those feelings always stay with you. You may not think they do or you may not think or remember it daily but those little words pop back up here and there. Your bones and scratches heal over time. You may see them still but they no longer hurt.

As I get older, I know better than to do something that may cause a physical scar because it is no fun being hurt! I also try not to let words hurt and be bothered so much by them. I work at Burger King and those customers can be rude sometimes and say hurtful things to me. But then you get the sweetest customer and without even knowing it they can turn your day around. This has shown me to be kind, have patience, and understand people aren’t all the same. You never know what kind of day a person is having. One little word of kindness goes a long way for someone and without knowing you can make someone’s day that much better. When one of my friends is down whether they were injured in a game or having a bad day because of a situation, I go out of my way to reach out and see how they are. Sometimes I will go to the store and buy them a little something like their favorite candy to cheer them up. I bought my mom roses the other day just because. It makes me happy to see someone smile and hoping I made their day a little better.


The author's comments:

My writing is on how Scars are not just physical but can be emotional as well