Evolution of Technology | Teen Ink

Evolution of Technology

February 4, 2010
By waters23 SILVER, Houston, Texas
waters23 SILVER, Houston, Texas
5 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Modern technology has evolved significantly in the last ten to twenty years. When computers first came out, they were the size of one room. Now they have evolved so much that we can travel with them in our backpacks. Many people argue whether or not technology has an effect on the way that kids grow up. Some people say that it takes kids away from their families. I think technology is good for people because it helps them keep up with society.
The internet can be good for many things. One reason is, “The internet can make it easier to keep in touch with friends” (source C).
This quote is saying that it helps friends keep in touch. For example, Facebook helps friends who have moved away from each other to still be in contact with one another. Another reason from source C is, “The internet is a common space to encounter new friends” (source C). This quote is saying that the internet is a great way to make new friends. There are many chat websites that you can use to meet new people. Now there are even websites where you can meet your future spouse!
Ipods are a convenient way to have all of your music right on hand. Another reason to support my idea is that “she loves having all of her music right at her fingertips” (source D). This quote is talking about how many people enjoy how convenient it is to listen to your Ipod. Now, Ipods are so small that you can put them in your pocket and listen to your music on the go. Another example from source D is, “Music deepens the experience of walking through the world” (source D). For many people, music is a way of expressing who they are. Music has made the world a better place.

On the other hand, many people think that technology is bad and pollutes childrens’ brains. The first example is, “The internet leads to small but statistically significant increases in misery and loneliness and a decline in overall psychological well-being” (American Psychological Association, 1998) (Source B). They are saying that many users of the internet are lonely and depressed. That is not true because everyone at my school uses the internet and none of them are depressed. That study is so old and mostly everybody in today’s society uses the internet. Another example from Source B is, “people spend less time with their families, experience more daily stress, and feel more lonely and depressed” (Source B). This quote is saying that internet users spend a lot less time with their families, and are more stressed and depressed. That is not true because the internet is good for getting research for school projects. This should minimize the stress of finding the information in library books that might be checked out. The internet is really good for kids in college. Many kids go to college far from home, and the internet can help them keep up with family and friends that are far away,
“As a result of their transportability, Ipods make it incredibly easy for people to bring their personal spheres into the public” (Source E). This quote is saying that it is very rude to listen to your Ipod in public. I think it is bad to listen to Ipods in public. There are many people that listen to Ipods in the morning on the train or bus. Many people are just not morning people and do not want to interact with the public. Another example from Source E is, “Interaction between individuals is slowly diminishing as people turn to their technological devices instead of attempting to make a new acquaintance or simply experience the natural sights and sounds around them” (Source E). This quote is saying that technology keeps individuals from making new friends and seeing the natural beauty of the outside world. That is not true because many people meet new friends through the internet and can socialize as well on the internet. Everybody has to go outside at one time or another. There are some people that cannot go outside be gravely allergic to the sun or have bad allergies to pollen.
That is why I think technology is good for helping people keep up with society. Americans should care about this because it is a very important matter. Many people think technology is good and many think it is bad for human health. That is why Americans should do some research and take a side because you never know what you might learn about technology.