Broken Pieces | Teen Ink

Broken Pieces

March 28, 2010
By just_A_gurl BRONZE, Alpharetta, Georgia
just_A_gurl BRONZE, Alpharetta, Georgia
4 articles 4 photos 5 comments

Favorite Quote:
"it takes courage to grow up and become who you really are"


Becca sat alone in the middle of the large school courtyard. She was desperately trying to keep the stream of tears from taking over again. She felt cold and alone. Her perfect world shattered, and there was no one around to help her pick up the pieces. “How could this have happened?” she thought to herself. “What went wrong? Does he even know how much he is breaking my heart?” She could not control her emotions anymore. The tears overtook her, and she sat there and cried. “How could I be such a fool?” she thought.

It was a warm, cloudless Spring day in the middle of April. The soft chirping of the birds and the gentle breeze that blew through Becca’s golden blonde hair were almost comforting to her as the tears rolled down her blotchy red face. She suddenly felt a gentle hand on her shoulder and quickly wiped away her tears as she looked up. Through her watery eyes, she saw the tall blurry outline of her best friend Emily.

“Are you okay, girl?” Emily asked in her sweet comforting voice.

“I don’t know anymore,” Becca’s voice was shaky as she choked on her tears.

Emily looked down at her with pity. “I wish I could tell you I know how you feel, but honestly I don’t. I’m so sorry girl.”

“No, it’s alright,” Becca shivered. “There was nothing that you could have done. It was my decision.”

“Awww, girl, I’m so sorry that you have to go through this. I really wish that there was something I could do.”

Becca gave a little smile as she replied, “You’ve done enough just by being there for me, and that’s all I need you to do.”

Emily sat down next to Becca and gave her a big hug. The two girls had been best friends since kindergarten and still remain best friends even now through their first year of high school. They had always been there for each other, and Becca was comforted to know that her best friend was there for her even now. After everything that had happened, Emily never left her side.

“Just try to forget about him,” Emily said. “Who needs boys anyways when we can have a girl weekend? You are coming over tonight and we are going to have the best time ever! No boys!”

Emily fixed her light brown hair into a ponytail before jumping up and extending a hand toward Becca. “Come on,” she said smiling as she looked down into Becca’s sad blue eyes. “Come on,” she said again wriggling her fingers.

For the first time all day, a smile stretched across Becca’s face. She took Emily’s hand and stood up. She could not have been more thankful for a friend like Emily.

The author's comments:
this is a short story i wrote for school. it was inspired by a really bad break up that i just recently went through and about my loving friend emily who is always there for me