That Other F-Word | Teen Ink

That Other F-Word

By Loki@221B BRONZE, Newtown, Pennsylvania
Loki@221B BRONZE, Newtown, Pennsylvania

"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity."
-Edgar Allan Poe

You know the one. Kids, teens, and adults all over the world are using it. Yes: "fag". Whether it's said jokingly to a best friend or spat at the quiet boy in the hallway, fag is the ultimate F-Bomb. Not only is it offensive, but it's hurtful, disrespectful, homophobic, and downright cruel.

And yet this awful word is thrown around school hallways like nothing more than a spitball. In reality, it is a lethal weapon. More than 5,000 teenagers will commit suicide this year. 1 in 3 of these suicides will be committed by LGBT teens. Cowardly? No. It's a desperate attempt to escape the homophobic bullying they face every day-sometimes from their own family.

So why is this happening? Why must the world lose over 1,600 amazing, creative, brilliant teenagers every year? It doesn't have to be like this! The next time you hear someone using homophobic slurs or bullying another teen, SPEAK UP!!! Who knows? You might just make a friend, or even save a life. If you don't act, you are letting another flame of life be stamped out by homophobia. Please, don't let the bullies win.

WE CAN AND WE WILL STOP THIS!!!!!!!!

I hope this will help anyone suffering from homophobic bullying. Stay strong, hold your head high, and never, EVER, let the bullies win. They aren't worth your life.

birdnerd28 SILVER, Zionsville, Pennsylvania

"When the last tree is cut, the last fish is caught, and the last river is polluted; when to breathe the air is sickening, you will realize, too late, that wealth is not in bank accounts and that you can't eat money."
-- Alanis Obomsawim

I'm just starting out too, so I know how you feel. There's so much here and it's easy to just get swallowed up. Don't worry, I liked your works! Keep it up! :)

Loki@221B BRONZE, Newtown, Pennsylvania

-Edgar Allan Poe

It would mean a lot to me if you could rate this :) Sorry for advertising... :\ I'm just starting out and would really love it if my work was actually read C= Thanks SOOOO much!