Watching from the Sidelines | Teen Ink

Watching from the Sidelines

By Rose_13 PLATINUM, Farmington, New Mexico
Rose_13 PLATINUM, Farmington, New Mexico

If you try and teach a fish to climb a tree, it will live it's life forever thinking that it is dumb. ~Albert Einstein

Watching from the sidelines. That's the perspective.
I've seen lots of things, but not too much. There's always room for more, but sometimes I don't want to learn more. It's all too terrible really.
I've come to learn one fact in life. Well, countless facts actually, but one that has been extremely prominent lately, sticking out like a tumbleweed in a lush field.
The prominent fact: Life is a terrible thing.
I have watched from the sidelines for a very long time. But it's okay. I learn more that way.
First of all, I look like the girl with a very happy family. Which I am, and I have much to be thankful for. But there's always a struggle.
My sisters fought with each other for a very long time. Every day, something new. I'd watch them. There was no reason to it, but it was almost a routine.
Once, they were so upset that they even got in a fistfight, and it was horrible. I was starting to learn a little something. They continued to yell at each other all through the night.
But they had to leave for college after four years of fighting, and they still have little skirmishes all the time. There's always a struggle.
Sometime later, my friend's parents had a divorce. It was almost a relief for her, because they had been fighting every day, and she'd come to school crying. She cried the day that they filed for divorce too, but she stopped crying after that. She was just terribly sad. She'd stare out the window and trail her finger across it to draw a broken heart.
After that, she became sullen and started to use a kitchen knife to leave scratches on her arm, and she was introduced to drugs. I learned something there too.
That girl and I aren't friends anymore. There's always a struggle.
A few years ago, I wrote this paper. It was on Hitler.
You know what he did. He tortured the Jews, just for the religion. Just for….nothing really. How did it affect Hitler? The Jewish religion? It didn't. Not at all.
How did one sister eating the other's breakfast bar effect them? It didn't effect them. They just didn't have a breakfast bar. So what?
How did one of the druggie girl's parents effect the other? I don't really know….but it's still terrible isn't it? There's always a struggle.
In a way, we are all Hitlers. Of course, we don't kill innocent people, but we harm each other for no reason. We hurt each other for no reason. There's no reason….and yet, there's always a struggle.
There are campaigns against bullying and stuff like that, but it's not working. It's not going to work unless we want it to. Unless, we, the Hitlers, want it to stop. Want to come together and be nicer to each other.
A lot of people still wouldn't like each other but….who cares? Can't you tolerate one another? Isn't this supposed to be an "advanced society"? Yeah, right.
When the world stops acting like a bunch of two year olds, maybe we can really work on being smart and technological, but now, I guess we're focused on food and money, and fighting over those things.
Come on, people! Get over yourself….
And end the struggle.