Tearing Apart | Teen Ink

Tearing Apart

By TanviKusum DIAMOND, Gurgaon, Other
TanviKusum DIAMOND, Gurgaon, Other

All men who have achieved great things have been great dreamers.
Orison Swett Marden

"The role of a writer is not to say what we all can say, but what we are unable to say." - Anais Nin

we speak in hushed voices so as to not wake our memories

When you put yourself out there on the social media you open yourself to feedback, both positive and negative. In Ayn Rand's novel The Fountainhead the protagonist's pure love for his art made him prone to the hate of the world, his otherwise hard shelled exterior had cracks through his work which the world used in order to cause his destruction. One day I posted a picture which was not so common because I had painted my face and the black and white image appeared as if I had been beaten up. I provided a caption about my new adventure and hoped to gather some guffaws but sadly this exercise took an ugly turn when people responded saying things like why does your boyfriend beat you up and the kind. Now normally I wouldn't take an offence and fight for my opinion but art is my crack. When I narrated this incident to my mother she told me that the picture was provoking and it was bound to invite such comments. Now I ask a question, isn't it the same mentality which says that wearing a short skirt renders a woman promiscuous and hence becomes a reason for rape? Aren't we all humans who hold themselves on a higher pedestal than other animals? Aren't we supposed to be capable of self control and clear thinking? The little jibes are an example of cyber bullying in which we participate in unknowingly everyday. If we could all remember little saying like 'don't speak anything if you don't have anything nice to say' we could create a more positive and free thinking environment which lets everyone be themselves. When someone chooses to show you a side of them they do not expect you to call them trash.

I hate how people comment on everything and anything just because they have the power to. With great power comes great responsibility.