Bully Lines: What You Don't Know | Teen Ink

Bully Lines: What You Don't Know

By ScarlettJ. DIAMOND, West Newton, Pennsylvania
ScarlettJ. DIAMOND, West Newton, Pennsylvania

"You are only confined by the walls you build around yourself." "Follow your heart, but take your brain with you." "You were born to be real, not to be perfect."

I thought I understood why I was bullied. Just some arrogant kids wanting to ruin my day, I thought. But how could someone truly know what that bully was thinking? How could we know, really, as to why they chose to do what they did?
So I started asking questions. You could say I'm bothersome, never quite wanting to stop when I've been beaten done.
I pushed so far, for so long, wanting to GET bullied, just so I could ask questions like "Why?" For months this continued, my mother even threatened to take me out of school for showing up home each day with a bruises and bloody noses.
But when I saw no hope... everything changed.
My regular bully, Sarah, a much larger girl with lots of muscle and long blond hair, had grabbed me by my shoulders one afternoon after third period. I thought she was going to punch me, or sling more insults like, "Emo freak," "Emo slut," but instead, she pulled me aside and said," Can't you take a clue?! I CAN'T stand you. Why do you keep bothering me?"
This was a change in her, I could see. She looked tired, lost, but still angry. I shook my head at her.
"I want to know why you bully me." I said plainly. And that's when it happened. The tears began to roll down her chubby cheeks, she leaned against a locker and stared at me.
"I'm sorry." She whispers, turning from me and running down the hall.
And guess what?
Sarah and I are great friends now. After what happened that morning, I had gone to Sarah's house and asked to talk to her. Sarah explained to me how her mom was never around, her dad was a drunk and had no job.
Sarah had to work two jobs after school just to keep the house running.
I did feel sorry for her, and I did forgive her. I was surprised to find myself closer to her after that and she even spent the night at my house.
You think you understand what a bully is thinking, but believe me, was I surprised.