Cyberbullying Editorial | Teen Ink

Cyberbullying Editorial

By Laurenboo99 BRONZE, Plaquemine, Louisiana
Laurenboo99 BRONZE, Plaquemine, Louisiana

Cyber bullying like many others is a form of bullying but which has taken place online. In the past few years many states and lawmakers have created laws against bullying, cyber bullying, and any other form of bullying. For the ones who do not know what cyber bullying is, here is a definition, “Cyber bullying is the use of technology to harass, threaten, embarrass, or target another person.” Reporters say, “The old, ‘stick and stones’ saying is no longer true,” now kids can’t get away from the bullies even when they are in a place the kids should to feel safe… at home.

Parents say, “It's not always easy to know how and when to step in as a parent,” this is said because a majority of the time with technology today its at times hard to know if a` child is getting harassed online. Being a kid myself I can honestly say bullying in any form is horrid but online just makes it worst. When its online bullying you can’t get away from it not even when you are home, and most parents really can’t realize it. The fact that parents don’t know scares them, as a parent you want to protect your child from any type of harm if possible. When parents do find out their child is being bullied, they go to certain measures to ensure their child’s safety, certain precautions they take are offering support, take away technology, and many others to ensure the safety and sanity of their child.

Statistics show more than one in three teens have experienced cyber bullying, and over twenty-five percent have been bullied on their cellular device. One in ten tell their parents and one in five report to the police. Twenty-five percent is a great deal of children who are getting cyber bullied. We can help prevent cyber-bulling by making teens and young adults aware of this ongoing issue. Being a teen part of the twenty-first century is a major concern with cyber bullying with how much technology we have at our fingertips exposes us to cyber bullying each day.

Cyber bullying can cause many emotional issues. Since bullying is no longer confined to just schoolyards and street corners teens feel as if they have no escape. Cyber bullying can go on twenty-four hours a day seven days a week due to technology. According to statistics long term cyber bullying is said to, “leave both victims and bullies at greater risk for anxiety, depression, and other stress-related disorders. In some rare but highly publicized cases, some kids have turned to suicide.” 

Being aware of cyber bullying when it happens can help a great deal, teens can learn how to stop it as or before it happens and turn the other cheek. Being aware of cyber bullying is a good to be aware of incase not just you but if you see another person being cyber bullied online you can report it, help the people, or talk to the bully and aware them of what cyber bullying is incase maybe they did not know. Cyber bullying is like many other forms of bullying, it can hurt so be aware before you become one.

This was written about cyberbullying its affects and being a kid how it is bad.