Bullying Is Like Smoking, It Can Kill | Teen Ink

Bullying Is Like Smoking, It Can Kill

March 25, 2016
By D.Terinate BRONZE, Ho Chi Minh City, Other
D.Terinate BRONZE, Ho Chi Minh City, Other
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
Do what you love, love what you do.


Imagine if you were bullied physically AND verbally on a regular basis by someone bigger, tougher, and stronger than you, how terrible would that feel? Back then, boys in my grade were teasing me and making fun of my name. Because of this, I felt annoyed and upset, my friends weren’t protecting me and laughed along with it. Bullying is an act of continual abuse, enforcing power over another when not necessary. There are 3 types of bullying : physical, verbal and cyber. It is important to be aware and spread awareness of bullying, because it is now a major issue not only in school, but also outside of school and even on the internet! The fact that it’s happening everywhere around the world, is becoming uncontrollable. Why should we stop bullying? Students, labeled as nerds, stupid or low class get bullied for fun, even if they didn’t do anything bad. Bullying could be a good experience for every students to go through, because it will help them to become a stronger person in the future. However, this action has spreaded into variety of schools around the world, and it is time to put a STOP to bullying, because it puts too many students through hardships that they won’t be able to handle. If bullying doesn’t stop, many students will encounter suicidal, emotional problems and health complaints.

To begin with, people around the age of an adult commit suicide due to debts, family problems or extreme depression. However, adolescent are willing to suicide because of some small reasons like bullying. Isn’t it depressing to see people in their youth ending their life because of someone being an obstacle against their happiness? There are PLENTY of things you can do before you end your life, but unlike the victims, they would rather give up. Life is like diamonds, and NO ONE would want to throw away diamonds! Students should continue their life and should discover new things as they go on. “Parents still see bullying as just a part of being a kid.” This statement shows that parents aren’t inclined to help the child and stop the abuse. In other words, they would only see it as a normal habit towards children. In addition, another fact from from the same website “Suicide is the third major cause of death among young teens, resulting in about 4,400 deaths per year. According to the CDC, for every suicide among young teens there are at least 100 suicide attempts.” It doesn’t seem like a normal habit now is it? A big quantity of deaths coming from children and teens is just miserable, people at a young age are losing lives because of being insulted and assaulted. This is why parents should be more careful and pay close attention to their children’s life in school.

Furthermore, bullying causes emotional problems, along with anxiety and depression. Being too emotional can increase the feelings of sadness and loneliness. Emotional problems can be caused by bullying due to the nasty things they say. If bullying occurs constantly on an individual, they would get hurt badly that they might hate on themselves. Hating on yourself lowers your self-esteem and turns you into a person with major insecurity complications. In addition it will be hard to gain back your happiness. Statistics shows that “On a daily average 160,000 children miss school because they fear they will be bullied again” (teenink). If children/teens miss school on daily bases just because of bullying, their academic status will decrease and won’t be successful when they grow up. Students will lack studying and will fail several tests or exams, because the fact that bullying occurs in their daily life will continually concern them.  Parents will definitely be concerned about their children’s condition if it gets worse and may ask them why, but they would refuse to give a direct answer because they already know that parents only see bullying as a part of childhood.

Usually, when students arrive at the point where they face despondency, they would feel nauseous or sick, avoid meals, and lack sleep. As said on Bullied Teens Seek Comfort in Alcohol, Drugs, “Sadly, some teens turn alcohol and drugs as a way to cope.”  It clearly shows that students will stress out so much that they will start taking drugs such as: alcohol, marijuana, ecstasy etc to get over the pain bullies give them. Knowing these are unhealthy concepts, there’s a high chance that it will lead to cancer or even death. If the situation only becomes worse for the students health, they wouldn’t be able to handle the sickness and stress that they hold in. Therefore when they grow up, their future would not have a good outcome.

Contrariwise, bullying can be harmful to many students, but it is a normal experience to have while still in their youth. Facing bullies may be a bit tough, actually, really tough. However, once you grow up, and face a similar problem like this, your childhood experiences of bullying will help you deal with the problem better than before. While this argument may be true, bullying is an unacceptable behaviour to perform on someone when they intend no harm. This type of attitude has spread across the world within schools, office, internet etc. If bullying overpowers the school, students wouldn’t go to school, because they’ve been feared by bullies. Sooner or later, school won’t even be an existent to this world, people then would have low education and the current world won’t have a successful outcome for the next generation to continue.

In conclusion, there are many ways to prevent bullying. For instance, posters, principal announcements, security cameras, sending out forms to parents etc. However some schools don’t bother to take action towards anti-bullying,  and even if they do it, bullies will keep ignoring the posters and the principal’s order. Why ignore? Bullies will always state bullying as an ‘entertainment’, and will NEVER take responsibility for their victims. Physically and verbally abusing students without age matter will most likely result the same reaction. Their attitude and personality would become negative, feared and devastated. Bullying should be terminated in any cases because the increasing rate of suicidal, emotional problems along with anxiety and health complaints has covered the world. Think about it, if you were a parent, would you want your child to be depressed for their whole life? Would you want to see them end their life? I guess the most definitely answer to that, is a “no”.


The author's comments:

Bullying is a world wide issue, not only in school but also out of school. I want to spread awareness of the negative behaviour, and how it could lead to serious problems.