Fruit Bank | Teen Ink

Fruit Bank

By elasays BRONZE, Pleasanton, California
elasays BRONZE, Pleasanton, California

"Start unknown, finish unforgettable."

The World Bank estimates indicate that annually, 9.1 million lives, worldwide, are lost to hunger and another 795 million suffer from hunger. Not to mention that one-third of all edible food is wasted. We see this food wastage in our own communities, schools, offices, restaurants, and neighborhoods. In Pleasanton, my hometown, nearly every house has a fruit tree which produces excess fruit every season, which is ultimately wasted. I know there isn't an easy way to solve world hunger, but I have an idea that can get teenagers like me sensitized and involved.

I’m proposing a social venture called Fruit Bank!  The idea is for teenagers to collect fruits from neighborhood trees and sell or process them into jams and jellies. The initiative will motivate teenagers to contribute to solving hunger or become aware of the problem by tapping the abundance of fruit in their neighborhoods. In the process, teenagers learn to work as collectors, salesmen, food processors or accountants. The proceeds from this project will go directly to charities to feed malnourished children around the world. This plan not only feeds the needy but reduces fruit waste! I also believe the social venture will create a forum for youngsters to interact in person with others who share the same interests, rather than on social media.

I alone will not be able to end world hunger, but if I can rally up support and passion for this cause, I can make a difference by saving lives.