The Gift of Literacy | Teen Ink

The Gift of Literacy

The Gift of Literacy
I love the library, it’s my second home. During the summer most of my days are spent there so I don’t get bored. I have spent so much time there that when the librarian asked me to if I wanted to volunteer I immediately agreed. What better way to give back to my sanctuary then helping out the people who work there? Now I shelve books after school, I’m now so fast at shelving it’s like a child throwing toys out of the way to go to Chuck E. Cheese’s. Also, whenever people have a problem or need help to find a book, I’m there to help them right away. Since I have spent so much time there, I know how to find all the books quickly. Since I shelve books in the children’s section, it’s mostly parents and kids asking for help. It is amazing to watch the little kids learning to read for the first time. They expression on their face as they form the words aloud, making mistakes and learning from them, is unparalleled. I try as much as I can to encourage them to journey to new worlds in the realm of books. Sometimes I think that I don’t make much of a difference or do enough to help, that it’s just a library, but when I see the kids and how much they enjoy the books I helped them find and how much they will learn because of it, I wouldn’t want to be anywhere in the world. Every time we all help out, even just a little bit, we are making a difference. We are making the world just a bit better, a bit nicer, and a more welcoming place for everyone.