Time Well Spent | Teen Ink

Time Well Spent

By Savannah.W PLATINUM, Joliet, Montana
Savannah.W PLATINUM, Joliet, Montana

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Time is the most valuable thing each and every one of us possesses. The way we choose to spend it will serve to either be a blessing or a burden to you and those around you.

As a child I would go out into the woods with my dad and go camping. Often times the campsite by the lake would be trashed by people who previously camped there. The first thing my dad would have my brother and I do was pick up not only the trash in our campsite, but the area around ours. When it was time to leave we would do the same thing. We would ask out dad why we had to make our campsite look nice, when most other people wouldn’t. He replied saying you always want to leave places nicer than you found them.

I listened to my dad’s words and would later apply that in other aspects of my life. Some day we are all going to die. When we die we will be buried and there will be a head stone in our memory. On that tombstone it will have two numbers with a dash between. The first number represents the year you were born, and the second number represents the year you died. As for the dash between; it represents your life. That dash stands for everything you accomplished, the people whose lives you were a part of, and your impact – though may be small – you had on the world. It is because I want to leave this world better then I found it, I volunteer.

Last year I began volunteering my time in my church’s AWANA program. For those of you who may not know, AWANA is a Christian after school program that helps kids learn scripture. I help with music, classroom time, but I am mainly the game’s leader for ages 3-8. Although the program that I work with is with my church, a majority of the children do not attend Sunday services. Many of the kids who come are “at risk” kids from my community. It provides them with a safe place to go.

When I began working with the program I thought that I was doing it to help the children and the church. I thought by being a leader I would be the one helping the kids grow in character and faith. After my first couple months of helping though; I realize they were the ones helping me grow in character and in my faith. Just as much as I helped them; they inadvertently were helping me. Knowing that these kids look up to me; has also helped me become more accountable in my day to day life. Even though I am only an AWANA leader once a week, they are watching my behavior every day. Realizing that has made me more responsible.

I have partaken in several other community service organizations and projects, but I treasure the time I have spent with the children of the AWANA program the most. I hope to continue to work with this organization well into my adulthood. 

Every day our world, our country, and our communities face many difficult things. People are hungry, animals are abused, and people are hurting. Sometimes hearing all the hardships around us can be discouraging. But there is something that we can do to change it. We may not be able to fix all the problems of the world, but we can make a difference in the lives of those around us. By spreading kindness, standing up for what is right, and being there for your family and friends you are already making a difference. Never underestimate the power of opening the door for an elderly person, standing up for someone being bullied or helping your little brother with his homework. Gandhi once said, “Be the change you want to see.” Although I know I could do better, I am on my way to using my life to help those around me.

I have never regretted spending my time volunteering, and helping others. I hope to encourage other teens to volunteer their time. I believe that as capable members of society, we have a duty stand for something and do our part in making the world a better place for ourselves, and future generations.