A Different Experience | Teen Ink

A Different Experience

By Hannah U BRONZE, Phoenix, Arizona
Hannah U BRONZE, Phoenix, Arizona

As we drove into the parking lot, my heart raced. I had done this a million times, but this time was different. The appalling graffiti, the worn down buildings and the prospect of getting out of the car set me on edge.

A few years ago, I volunteered as a summer missionary for Christian Youth In Action. I ran Bible Camps in homes and churches across Arizona for a few hours each day, five days a week. Under the supervision of an adult, my older friend Katie and I taught children songs, Bible memory verses, Bible stories, games, and crafts all summer long. I love working with children, so I was comfortable and content. But this last Bible Camp was different.

This Bible Camp was at New Light Church in an inner city neighborhood in the heart of Phoenix, Arizona, a far-cry from the upper class, conservative homes I was used to working in. The meager, musty church building looked as if it had survived a small war, and the surrounding apartment complexes were uninviting to say the least.

While Katie and I were setting up for the Bible lesson, several children were running around the church building like wild animals. I noticed that the children were older than the average group at past camps had been; a few of them even looked older than me! I could not help but think “What have I gotten myself into?”

After settling the rambunctious kids down, I found some faked confidence and began to teach the Bible lesson about a man named Zacchaeus who climbed a tree to see Jesus teach and turned his life around because of Jesus. I observed that many of the kids restlessly fidgeted, and I wondered if they were even listening; however, I soon realized that the kids were paying attention when I asked comprehension questions about the story and they excitedly answered. These kids had energy as endless as the sea, but, similar to Zacchaeus, they were thrilled to learn about Jesus, so my confidence transformed from artificial to genuine.

Throughout my time at New Light Church, I bonded with the kids more than at any of the other Camps. Two girls, Fayth and Nina, were best friends and they were always excited to see me. When I told the gospel story of how Jesus died on the cross to save us from our sins and then rose from the dead three days later because He is God’s son and loves us, Fayth and Nina eagerly accepted Jesus into their hearts as their Lord and Savior. I talked to them for about an hour, and the conversation was life changing. Fayth confided, “The only reason I came to this Camp was because Nina invited me and my parents thought it was free daycare. If they knew that I was learning about Jesus they would never have let me come. I’m so glad you taught me about a father who actually loves me!” I struggled to see clearly and worked to blink away the tears in my eyes. Her blue eyes shined with joy and determination as she asked, “How can I learn more about Jesus without getting in trouble?” I gave her my best advice.

The next day Nina ran up to me and whispered, “Tomorrow Fayth turns eleven,” so Katie and I bought a cake and candles to surprise Fayth on her birthday. The only problem was that we had no matches or a lighter, so Katie and I ran to the apartments I once feared and borrowed a lighter from a stranger. The exuberance on Fayth’s face was worth the trouble. She was elated and begged “Can you stay forever?”

The Bible Camp at New Light Church was certainly different, but not in the way I expected. The children I worked with were more enthusiastic about learning about Jesus than at any of the other Camps. This is because the kids discovered for the first time the hope Jesus provides that they yearned for. My perspective on life drastically changed because I was reminded of just how wonderful Jesus’ love really is.