The Walk | Teen Ink

The Walk

I was about four when it happened. I remember walking into the hospital and seeing him lying on the bed. He was only two and a half at the time. It had taken over his body. He would never be the same person again. It changed him. Max had been diagnosed with diabetes.

Ten years have passed since that day. Max is twelve now. The first few years were full of shots every couple hours. Now that's substituted with an insulin pump. The needle is changed every couple days. Max checks his blood sugar close to six times a day. The needles never stop coming.

It was a few years after Max was diagnosed that we started the walk. The Walk to Cure Diabetes comes around every November at Tempe Town Lake. It is run by the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation(JDRF). Our first year was 1999. Max's Marauders was our team name. The walk in about 5K and people donate money. All the money donated does towards JDRF. Thousands of people come out and join the walk.

My family walked every year until 2005, when it moved to the bottom of our to do list. My mom and I walked in 2008 and donated $100. I walked with my other friend, who also has diabetes.

Although Max does have diabetes, he is also a normal kid like any other. He has lots of friends and plays sports. Sometimes its seems like he doesn't even have diabetes. No matter what Max does, he is always going to be normal.