PBJ Outreach | Teen Ink

PBJ Outreach

February 23, 2009
By Michelle Tuyo BRONZE, Livonia, Michigan
Michelle Tuyo BRONZE, Livonia, Michigan
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

PBJ Outreach


Once a month, my church goes with the PBJ Outreach Organization to downtown Detroit. We go to a certain street corner, where people of all different backgrounds and races are lined up anxiously. It's rather strange the first few times, and a little frightening to be honest. Although, it really changes you, and makes you think.


When we get there, we set up tables with food and clothing. The less fortunate people file through, collecting the items. I usually work the women's tops or pants with the help of a few other volunteers.


As I stand there in the early morning hours, the cold nipping at me, a prick of reality comes to me. Something kind of snaps into place inside my head, and I realize a whole different view on life. As the homeless and less fortunate pass by, taking a few items, I see there faces. Some crying, some laughing, most with sad eyes. It hurts to realize that as I stand there, complaining in my head how cold it is, and silently counting the moments until I get to go home, some of these people don't have a home. They are freezing and sleepy, just like I was, and they would stay this cold, at least until the weather warmed up.



Those less fortunate people are the bravest people I've ever met. They fight for their lives, and they go to bed hoping to wake up in the morning, hoping to get through the cold alive. And here they are, some of them smiling and saying good morning. They are amazing.


I feel good when I go to PBJ Outreach. I'm giving people a gift. We are giving them a little warmth in the cold, a little light in the darkness, and a little smile in the gloom. It's just this beautiful feeling you get after you make one of them smile. And afterwards, I feel grateful for the roof over my head, the food in my stomach, and the love from my family and friends.

The author's comments:
I wrote this as a class essay, and it was an assignment that would be submitted. Although, this piece means more than a grade. I really hope this helps someone out there.