Does the World Needs the United Nations? | Teen Ink

Does the World Needs the United Nations?

May 31, 2022
By aarav0116 BRONZE, Morrisplains, New Jersey
aarav0116 BRONZE, Morrisplains, New Jersey
1 article 0 photos 4 comments

Imagine a world with no criminal activity, no economic problems, and just peace. The world that you’d want your child to live and grow up in. The United Nations have helped make these things possible. The United Nations is an international organization including 193 member states. Established in 1945 with only 51 members, the United Nations promised to maintain peace and security worldwide. Although some might say they haven’t impacted, the world needs the United Nations. They have helped develop many friendly relationships with different countries, allowed alliances, made countries independent, gave people a voice, and promoted equality.

To begin, the United Nations have helped develop friendly relationships with countries that allowed alliances and prevented wars from occurring. As the article “The Charter of the United Nations: Ideals for Shaping Our Reality” stated, “The fathers of an organization charged with developing friendly relations between nations, promoting human rights and economic and social progress were less utopian than visionary”(deRiviere 1). This proves the creators of the United Nations decided to develop the organization to maintain peace. They held themselves responsible for developing friendly relations. Also taken from the article, “It provides several means of action, including peacekeeping operations and international sanctions”(deRiviere 3). This proves the United Nations believes in peacekeeping and is taking action to improve society further. 

Lastly, the United Nations gave people a voice and promoted equality. According to the article, “The Charter of the United Nations: Ideals for Shaping Our Reality”, “The United Nations has the heavy but noble task of ensuring the participation of all peoples in international discussion”(deRiviere 2). This explains that the United Nations has addressed the problem of people not getting involved and are trying to encourage it. It also stated, “It defines the United Nations as ‘a center for harmonizing the actions of nations, where each member is treated as an equal across social, economic or political differences”(deReviere 1). The United Nations is defined as the center for harmonizing the actions of nations, which means they prevent nations from causing disputes. 

In conclusion, the world needs the United Nations. Although they couldn’t prevent the destruction and chaos in Iraq when the UN was at its worst, they have benefitted many countries by developing good relationships, allowing people's voices to be heard, and promoting equality and fairness.


The author's comments:

Argumentative essay from English class