Adam's Ale | Teen Ink

Adam's Ale

By rynasung SILVER, Canaan, New Hampshire
rynasung SILVER, Canaan, New Hampshire

There is a saying, ‘Three weeks without food, three days without water.’ The importance of water in human life cannot be understated in any matter. Ironically, 1.1 billion people suffer and 1 million people die each year because of water scarcity. We see a lot of images of places such as Africa, with a background of a drought, while people walk with a water can on their head. Those images are taken for the purpose of stimulating sympathy. Even though we recognize the severity of the global water issue, we tend to gloss over it. Thus, I decided to make a drawing that will help people understand and recognize global water scarcity by comparison. 

To start, I divided the paper into two parts. On the left, I drew a drought from a bird's eye view. On the right, I drew a swimming pool from a bird’s eye view. I chose the swimming pool because the pattern when the water is reflected by the sun can be connected to the drought’s crack pattern. I drew the patterns by pencil first, and then traced it with a thin, black marker. Then, I colored both of the sides with various color pastels. By rubbing the pastel-colored paper, I could make more vivid color gradation. Since it was my first time using a pastel, I struggled with it. However, I could still finish the drawing with effort. 

The main expression of the drawing is comparison. Normal swimming pools use 15,360 gallons of water. This amount of clean water can save at least 30,000 people for a day. I wanted to compare it to a drought and motivate people to feel sympathy towards those who have less access to water. Ultimately, the purpose of the drawing is to prevent further waste of water.