Daoism and the Collapse of Species | Teen Ink

Daoism and the Collapse of Species

As a Daoist practitioner, I see the natural world as a complex network of linked and dependent systems. A happy coexistence between humans and the earth depends on the stability of these systems. But contemporary culture frequently ignores this equilibrium, which has harmful effects on the environment. In this essay, I'll look at two sources that describe the risks created by human behavior and speculate on how a Daoist viewpoint can provide remedies.

The effects of habitat loss on species extinction are covered in the first source, "Habitat loss generates protracted extinction transients in tiny trophic chains," by Blai, Vidiella, et al. (2021). The authors explain how the extinction of one species can trigger a cascade effect that wipes out numerous species in a trophic chain. This might significantly affect the ecosystem's balance and even cause it to collapse.

The Greatest Challenges to Species by Hogue and Breon (2022), the second source, describes the different dangers that species are currently experiencing. They list a multitude of factors such as climate change, and the introduction of non-native species. The most serious of which seemingly being habitat loss. Seeing as habitat loss is such a monumental challenge to combat, a coordinated effort between the people and governments would be necessary to confront it. 

I believe these issues to be the result of a fundamental imbalance between people and nature in modern society. Humans have been driven by a desire for scientific and economic advancement for the past couple hundred years without taking into account the effects that may have on the environment. Daoism encourages us to seek harmony and balance with all living things as well as the planet as a whole, not just for ourselves.

A Daoist strategy for resolving these issues would emphasize the necessity of a significant change in people's attitudes and behaviors. Daoism encourages us to cherish balance and harmony with the natural world rather than prioritizing economic progress and technological innovation. This change would necessitate turning away from our present damaging practices, like deforestation and resource exploitation, and moving toward more sustainable ones, like regenerative agriculture and renewable energy.

A Daoist approach would call for us to develop a better comprehension of and connection to the natural world in addition to modifying our conduct. A large part of Daoism is the idea of absorbing processes found in nature and applying them to our own lives in order to better ourselves. We can also use this knowledge to better understand how to maintain the balance of nature and human activity.

In the end, a multifaceted strategy is needed to address the issues caused by species extinction and habitat loss. A unique and insightful viewpoint on the significance of maintaining a healthy relationship with nature is provided by the Daoist philosophy. We may work toward a more sustainable and peaceful future by developing a deeper relationship with and understanding of nature and changing our beliefs and conduct to promote balance and harmony.

The sources "Habitat loss generates extended extinction transients in short trophic chains" and "The greatest threats to species" show the serious threats that human activity poses to the environment. In order to solve these issues, we must fundamentally alter our attitudes and behaviors as well as develop a stronger bond with and comprehension of nature. By adhering to these values, we may work to create a future that is both sustainable and peaceful for all living things on the planet.

Sources:

Blai, Vidiella, et al. "Habitat loss causes long extinction transients in small trophic chains." Theoretical Ecology, vol. 14, no. 4, 2021, pp. 641-661. ProQuest, proquest.com/scholarly-journals/habitat-loss-causes-long-extinction-transients/docview/2610243505/se-2, doi:doi.org/10.1007/s12080-021-00509-7.

Hogue, Aaron S., and Kathryn Breon. "The greatest threats to species." Conservation Science and Practice, vol. 4, no. 5, 2022. ProQuest, proquest.com/scholarly-journals/greatest-threats-species/docview