Echoes of Ukraine: A Teen's Perspective | Teen Ink

Echoes of Ukraine: A Teen's Perspective

July 14, 2024
By tanvisenthil BRONZE, Sarasota, Florida
tanvisenthil BRONZE, Sarasota, Florida
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

It was more than two years ago on February 24th, 2022 when Russia invaded Ukraine’s borders, and a modern full-fledged war began. It’s now 2024, and it is clear to see that nothing has truly changed. Russia is still an aggressor, Ukraine is still a victim, and people like my friend Charlotte are forced to live in fear.
I began tutoring 22-year-old Charlotte in English last year. From the relative safety of my home in Florida, I met with her once a week – but our topics of conversation ranged far past just grammar drills or vocabulary review. She painted a horrific image of Russia’s initial invasion – waking up at 5 A.M to the sound of explosions, hastily gathering only the most essential of belongings, and leaving home without any certainty of return. It sounds like the beginning of a war movie – except this isn’t a movie, but the life of Charlotte and 36 million other Ukrainians.
Charlotte is one of the lucky ones. She managed to move back to her apartment in Kyiv and now leads a relatively normal life. Her friends and family, however, cannot say the same. Her mother, father, and sister have all relocated to the United States, unlikely to ever return to their home. Her best friend now lives with panic attacks, which started back in 2014 with the annexation of Crimea and only continues to grow with Russia’s most recent invasion.
Slowly, Charlotte and the community around her have come to realize one devastating fact: that tomorrow isn’t guaranteed. Faced with such adversity, Charlotte tells me that the Ukrainian people, though devastated, continue to cling to hope. For them, it is hope that drives liberation. She talks of the numerous husbands, fathers, and uncles who enlisted in the army, risking their lives every day on the front lines. Even those unable to fight – like the elderly and children – still show signs of hope, volunteering time and money to defense efforts.
Charlotte shows her resistance in smaller ways too – since 2022, she has switched to speaking exclusively Ukrainian within her social circles. The language, banned from official use by Russia since the 18th century through the Valuev Circular and Ems Ukaz, is more than just a mode of communication for Ukrainians. It has now come to symbolize a way to fight back against centuries of suppression at Russia’s hands. Charlotte has also begun to wear the Vyshyvanka, a Ukrainian cultural garment. Having endured years of cultural oppression, even these simple acts are a way for locals to show their commitment to freedom and independence in their country.
Ukrainians shouldn’t have to carry the burden of this fight alone. While this conflict may seem unrelatable, being over 2000 miles away, Charlotte says other people – like teenagers from other countries - can help too. Historically, it has always been the youth that has propelled change, and we can do this again too. Taking small steps, just like Charlotte has, and engaging with Ukrainian music, movies, and literature is a good way to start. Backing up Ukrainian businesses,  small or large, can make a significant impact. Sharing incidents and verified facts on social media, and getting all of that information from a reliable source, is also important.
Helping can also look like donating to organizations that give direct aid to Ukraine such as UNHCR Ukraine or UNICEF IN UKRAINE. If donating money isn’t an option, donating time is just as important. Volunteering at nonprofits like ENGin, where you can tutor Ukrainian youth in English, will introduce you to people just like Charlotte.
Charlotte has big dreams for her future. Looking ahead, she hopes for a Ukrainian society marked by inclusivity, where education, equality, and opportunities are available for all. She wants to drive sustainable development initiatives that could pave the way for a greener, environmentally conscious Ukraine. But most of all, she wants to finally see stability in her country once again restored. If we all work together, this future can be accomplished – and people like Charlotte can finally achieve the peace they deserve.
 
 
 
 
 
 


The author's comments:

My name is Tanvi Senthil, and I am a 17 year old based in Sarasota, Florida. I began volunteering with Ukrainian nonprofit ENGin last year, and have been tutoring my student (and now friend) Charlotte for some time now. Quickly, our relationship grew past just grammar drills and studying vocabulary terms. We shared our life experiences with each other, and I ended up learning more from her than she did from me. 

Seeing the war's impact on my friend, this article is very personal to me, as even the smallest amount of change can make an impact in her (and many other Ukrainian's) life. I would love to see this article published, as it would spread awareness and provide an outline on how teens can help with what seems like a big and scary issue.