Wildfires are a Bigger Environmental Threat Than Most Think | Teen Ink

Wildfires are a Bigger Environmental Threat Than Most Think

By yashranjith BRONZE, San Jose, California
yashranjith BRONZE, San Jose, California

Wildfires are becoming more frequent as our planet warms. Climate change is believed to have made fires in California three times worse over the past 30 years. But we often focus on the largest fires, since those grab the headlines.

But that only tells part of the story. Millions of acres of forests burn yearly without much media coverage. It’s not just the largest fires getting bigger: smaller fires that may have been much easier to contain decades ago now burn much faster and with more intensity.

And as humans move further out from cities, and closer to nature, larger, more destructive wildfires are burning through communities more frequently than ever before. And climate change is to blame.

This impact can be measured in three primary ways.

Forests and Biodiversity

Forests are often home to a diverse ecosystem dependent on these trees for food, shelter, and protection. When those trees are gone, wildlife is forced to flee, with no guarantee where they go will be able to support their needs. Some wildlife become highly dependent on the unique characteristics of a particular area, and can’t survive elsewhere.

And while forests often re-emerge after a fire, that’s not a guarantee Preceding long-term drought may have disrupted the lifecycles of native plants, so there’s not enough seed to regerminate. And even if there is, for years if not decades the area will not be able to properly support a diverse ecosystem.

Researchers have found that while recovery is possible from a major fire, there is a higher risk of extinction of wildlife that depend more on those trees (birds, etc). With so many more wildfires occurring, this issue is made even worse.

Air Quality and Climate Change

Americans got a wake-up call in 2022 when smoke from Canadian wildfires blanketed the Northeast’s largest cities. For a time New York City had the worst air quality in the world, all due to thick, hazy smoke. While the Northeast had experienced wildfire smoke before, it was never anything like this.

As wildfires get larger, so do those smoke plumes. What was once only seen out West is now happening elsewhere too. For those with health issues, especially respiratory ones like asthma, allergies, or COPD, this is not good news.

And worse yet, those fires dump more carbon dioxide into the air, a greenhouse gas. As a result, wildfires are not only a result of climate change but a contributor too: It’s what scientists call a “feedback loop:” more CO2 is pumped into the air from smoke plumes, which contributes to the warming of the earth, which promotes more wildfires, and the process starts all over again.

Water Resources and Soil Erosion

Although many don’t think of water and soil issues following a fire, the loss of trees and vegetation makes soil erosion much more likely. The roots of these plants help keep the soil in place, especially on a slope.

When rain occurs, the burnt ground has nothing to keep it in place. This is why in heavy rain events after wildfires, mudslides become more common. The risk of soil erosion lasts for long after the fire too, as the regrowth takes years to take hold.

Fighting these fires also requires a lot of water, and since they often happen during droughts, it strains overall water resources. And then there are the effects on water quality in watersheds affected, as sediment, ash, and pollutants make their way into nearby waterways.

Steps We Can Take To Prevent Wildfires

With climate change making wildfires more common, it is more important than ever to take steps to reduce risk.

●      Use outdoor grills appropriately. Always stay close by. Keep the flame as low as possible.
●      Avoid fires during the dry season: Don’t dispose of anything flammable in a forested area, especially during the dry season. Even a single cigarette can be the start of a massive fire if conditions are right.
●      All fires should be contained: Large, open fires, or flammable items like fireworks, are a recipe for disaster, and are unnecessary.
●      Burn in marked areas: Most public forests will have areas (if at all) where fire is permitted. These areas are specifically designed to separate the fire from anything potentially flammable around you.
●      Ensure the fire is out: Don’t assume after extinguishing the fire that it is out. A smoldering fire can relight. Take the extra time to ensure no burning embers remain.
●      Consider fire-resistant landscaping. If you live in an area at risk for wildfires, take steps now to protect your property. Address any tall grass and weeds, keep vegetation and trees away from the house, and use stones or other non-flammable material for ground cover.

And while you may not think of it, towing incorrectly or shooting a gun can even start a fire. Either can create sparks, which can cause nearby dry vegetation to catch fire. It’s not as common, but it can happen, especially in extremely dry conditions.

It Starts With Us

Climate change is more than just warmer weather. Wildfires are significant, destructive, and potentially deadly consequences of a warming world. But what you see on the news only shows you a fraction of the destruction they cause.

Wildfires not only destroy trees and vegetation but a source of food and protection for native wildlife. As we build closer and closer to these forests, the risk to human life and property is now greater than ever. Communities in harm's way need to start planning as if it’s a matter of when, not if.

As our climate changes, those pictures of wildfire destruction will only become more frequent, and for some of us closer to home than ever before. It already has. But there is something we can do about it. In the long term, we must address our warming world. However, in the short term, there are easy, common-sense steps that we can all take to reduce the risk of wildfires.

It always starts with us.

Living in California, I’ve witnessed firsthand the devastating impact of wildfires on our environment and communities. This article aims to shed light on the severity of these fires and their long-term effects on our ecosystem, highlighting the urgent need for effective wildfire management and prevention strategies.