The Creation of Global Warming | Teen Ink

The Creation of Global Warming

By PrincessLena ELITE, Orlando, Florida
PrincessLena ELITE, Orlando, Florida

"We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful what we pretend to be" - Kurt Vonnegut

The sun god did not like people to begin with. He thought they were ungrateful, and frankly, he would rather not have anything to do with them. All they ever did was complain to him, anyway. It’s too hot, he often heard in prayers, or it’s too bright. He wanted to know why they could not just appreciate that they had a reliable light source. And it’s not like they even treated him properly, with their awful aerosol cans and harmful gases. The god was allergic to those things, but no one ever saw him complain.

When humans went into space, he considered that the last straw. How dare they come into my territory when I give them a perfectly nice environment to live in? The god thought. As revenge, he decided to ruin the earth for these unappreciative beings. He started projecting deathly rays to the earth, breaking through their protective layer and making the earth that much hotter. If they want to complain, I just have to give them something to complain about, he told himself.

The humans on Earth were not happy with this. Nor was the king of gods, Zeus. So he was stripped of his powers and forced to live as a mortal. When he got to Earth, the people were confused as to what was happening. Why was the temperature that much hotter? Why were things so abnormal? The former god was starting to feel the effects of what he had caused, and he did not like it. So as a mortal, he became an environmental scientist and told his fellow mortals what had happened, from a scientific perspective. Together, they tried to fix it by not using the harmful gases that had caused this. But the damage had been done.

There was now no god to control the sun, as none had been able to take over the position because they had their own things to do. Zeus saw that the people were still suffering, but he was too arrogant to have the sun god take over his old position. This meant the problem could not truly be solved. However, when the god placed the curse on the sun, he made it so that the better humans were, the better the conditions were. In response, humans tried to quit complaining, but it was in their nature to do just that. Nevertheless, they did start to do it less and less, making the circumstances not so bad.

As a result of all this, the other gods were more careful about what conditions they put their people through. Except for Zeus, naturally. He was perfectly fine with letting his people suffer.