Nature: A Universe in Itself | Teen Ink

Nature: A Universe in Itself

By joanna_lucia BRONZE, Johnston, Rhode Island
joanna_lucia BRONZE, Johnston, Rhode Island

"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift, that is why it is called the present."

I find the vastness of our world sometimes difficult to fathom. I constantly struggle with questions about the state of our world today, and I find myself wrestling with my personal thoughts mixed with the insights of others in an attempt to discover the answers. This is not an easy task, as I am bombarded with mixed messages about how humans are called to treat the environment. I believe that humanity generally exploits our earth for personal gain. Every breath we take, every gulp of water we drink, and every ray of sunlight we absorb is directly from our natural surroundings. By inflicting damage to the earth, we are deteriorating these natural resources and wonders. I am beginning to notice that taking the time to really think about how I perceive nature, and reflecting upon how the majority of humans treat the environment is quite eye-opening.

I believe that we are a part of nature, not a separate entity. We thrive in nature in countless ways, but do not give nature enough respect and appreciation that it deserves. Oil, water, wood, and fossil fuel: Do we stop to think about where these things come from? The supply may seem endless, but these are natural resources that are finite. A growing problem with humanity is the tendency to take everything the earth offers in excess, stripping the earth of its resources at an incredibly fast pace. What we need to realize is that in order to thrive in nature, we have to focus on the beauty of its essence rather than the concrete, such as the trees, birds, and lakes around us. Nature is meant to be preserved and cherished, even held in awe. I believe that nature knows no limits; when I go outside, I step into an unfamiliar and mysterious universe that is filled with splendor and truth.

I find it to be so important to embrace our connection with nature. Humans and the environment are forever intertwined. Nature is necessary for our survival, but I think it plays a much deeper role in our lives. I believe humans all have a natural craving for meaning and truth behind the realities we come to face. Nature fulfills the yearning that we all feel tugging at our core, a yearning that calls out for a source of grace and elegance that brings about inner peace. It’s almost as if we desire some sort of satisfaction from creation, although we might not know exactly what we are looking for.

In order to figure out what this desire may be, I wholeheartedly believe humans must first learn to appreciate the complexity and fragility of nature. Certainly, this is no easy task, “the key to the riddle is hidden” (Carson 3). I will admit that there are times where I feel lost, engulfed by a fog when it comes to figuring out how to relate to nature. I must constantly remind myself that “the moments cannot be set up in advance” (Bass 10); I have to find small ways to experience the wonders of this universe on a personal level. Rather than coming up with ways to dramatically alter my lifestyle to protect the planet, I have to shape my attitude and perception of nature gradually, through experience. To have meaningful experiences, I must put in the effort and take the time to step out of the comfort of my daily routine and enter into the realm of the natural world.

My brother and I decided to start collecting aluminum cans on the side of the street whenever we went for walks a few summers ago. At first, we only thought to do this because the cans could be cashed in and we would be making a profit. I really enjoyed going for long walks in the neighborhood when the daylight seemed to last forever. At first I thought, this is great, we’re making money! As time went on though, I began to realize a deeper meaning. I started to observe that there were days when we would fill two plastic Stop-and-Shop bags stuffed to the brim with these aluminum cans from a mile walk. Not only were cans piling up at the side of the street, but also McDonald’s wrappers, Dunkin Donuts cups, Lay’s chip bags; you name it! I began to feel anger directed towards humanity.

I put the blame on society for all the destruction and harm the earth has to face as a result of our carelessness. I felt as Franzen felt in “My Bird Problem” when he stated, “What sickened and enraged me were all the other human beings on the planet” (6). Instead of disposing of their waste in a trash can at home, people chucked it out their car window. I was disgusted. It was as if no one thought ahead to the consequences of their actions; they were only concerned with their personal well-being, not the well-being of the environment. I think that the belief that humans take precedence over nature has to be reevaluated. Being unaware of the impact of our actions can result in grim consequences; not only does carelessness destroy our source of beauty, it destroys our source of life.

I should not let other people dictate how I feel about nature. The only one who can figure out the answer to my endless questions is me. I believe that to appreciate nature, I have to trust in my experiences. I must never regret trying something new; successes and mistakes are what will better my understanding of the natural world. I can’t be afraid to go for a walk and take in the pure energy of nature. I can’t be afraid to state my opinion that nature is poorly treated by so many; I must stand out and express my views. Putting these thoughts on paper evokes something within me; whether I am feeling unease or understanding, I’m not quite sure. However, just the fact that I feel something speaks volumes to me. I think that slowly, but surely, I’m beginning to uncover the answers to my questions.

Works Cited
Bass, Rick. “A Texas Childhood.” The Best American Spiritual Writing 2004. Phillip Zaleski, ed. Boston: Houghton Mifflin, 2004.

Carson, Rachel. “The Marginal World.” The Best American Essays of the Century. Joyce Carol Oastes and Robert Atwan, eds. Boston: Houghton Mifflin, 2000.

Franzen, Jonathan. “My Bird Problem.” The New Yorker. August 8 & 15, 2005.

I hope that whoever reads this piece is challenged to really reflect upon their actions. Hopefully, they can recognize whether their actions are destroying or benefiting the state of our natural world today.