Climate Change Effects Children | Teen Ink

Climate Change Effects Children

By rksweety10 BRONZE, Catawissa, Pennsylvania
rksweety10 BRONZE, Catawissa, Pennsylvania

Imagine not having food or water for 1 night, or 2 nights, or even 3 nights. Your stomachs growling and your down to the bone, but there’s nothing you can do. You have no water, no food, and you still have to work just as hard as you did the day before.

Children in Africa and Asia go through this everyday. They may have no food or water for a whole day, but they still have to work just as hard. In a report form the United Kingdom they found that global warming is already reducing the quality of the world’s most vulnerable children’s lives. Due to increased poverty the climate change could cause an additional 40,000 to 160,000 child deaths per year in South Asia and sub-Saharan Africa. The report also says that the world’s poorest children are the ones being hit the hardest by the impact of climate change.

Global warming will make it even harder for people living in Africa and Asia to find clean water and food, because it reduces people in Africa and Asia access to clean water and food supplies. With temperature increases of 2 degrees Celsius, an additional 30-200 million people will be placed at risk of hunger globally which adds up to as many as 550 million people at risk of hunger. They can’t grow food as plentiful because of the hot dry weather and it is showing it’s affect by more and more children dying each year from starvation because of climate change.

Violence is expected to increase because the increase on water and food is not being met and people will convert over to stealing food to stay alive which creates sadism. Peter Brecke, an associate professor at the Georgia Institute of Technology’s school of International Affairs, said, “The warmer temperatures are probably good for a while, but beyond some level plants will be stressed. With more droughts and a rapidly growing population, it is going to get harder and harder to provide food for everyone and thus we should not be surprised to see more instances of starvation and probably more cases of hungry people clashing over scarce food and water.” In simpler terms it will be harder for everyone to provide food, and there will be violence because there is not enough to go around. International Alert (IA) released a report identifying at least 46 countries where climate change would result in a high risk of violent conflict. International Alert secretary general Dan Smith said: “I would expect to see some pretty serious conflicts that are clearly linked to climate change on the international scene by 2020.” To support his comment scientists in the United States, United Kingdom, China, and Hong Kong have released a study which shows that in the past climate changes have been followed by war, famine, and a decline in population.

Diseases are also expected to increase because of the blistering heat, fewer supplies to cure disease, and migration. For example disease like Dengue are estimated that the population at risk could increase from 1.5 billion today to 3.5 billion by 2080. At the University of Hong Kong a geography professor named Zhang said “Epidemics of diseases may not be directly linked to temperature change, but it is a consequence of migration, which creates chances for disease to spread.” What he meant was that it’s not just the hot temperatures that are creating diseases, but migration and overcrowding.

This will not only affect violence, diseases, and starvation but the education of children because of parents taking them out of school to work and make money for their family. People living in Africa and Asia that work will have less incomes and productivity because of climate change, so they take their children out of school to help bring income for the family. The problem is that the children not only have no education, but getting the education will help to solving problems caused by climate change in Africa and Asia.

Global warming is making the future of the world’s poorest children even bleaker. This shows how climate change is having an impact and will continue to have an overall adverse impact on children’s lives. If it keeps up there will soon to be many more children dying because of climate change.