We ruined it all | Teen Ink

We ruined it all

March 19, 2009
By Catherine BRONZE, Livonia, Michigan
Catherine BRONZE, Livonia, Michigan
3 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Millions of years ago, I believe that animals existed that we couldn’t that we couldn’t believe were real unless we could see them with our own eyes.

Now what you do see every day is buildings that have been or are being built that we don’t really need. As of 2001, 2,000 McDonalds are built each year in the United States alone. The question is do we need that many? Other stores we see every time we enter a new town (or at least it seems that way) are coffee shops, targets or Wal-Mart’s, and shoe stores. Yes, having these things in the world are okay, but do we need so many of them?

Amazing animals are killed each day, or they are put on the endangered species list, one of the reasons we have 609 animals on the endangered species list is because they are losing their homes due to construction of new buildings. Some are needed, like hospitals, but some are not needed, like the 8th fast food place in your town. The next time you see a new store you’re excited to be built, remember our helpless animals out there crying for help……and a home.

Animals aren’t the only one that are losing homes to the construction of, let’s say, the new Arby’s down the street. 711 different plant species are also on the endangered species list. Some people think that plants are not important to us, but they are in many ways. They produce carbon dioxide which we need to have to breathe, and some plants produce us food.

If we had pictures from thousands maybe millions of years ago, our world would be full of plants, animals and huge forests. But as we started to arrive, we forgot how much we rely on these animals and plants that were a gift to us, and we ruined it all.