We ruined it all | Teen Ink

We ruined it all

By Catherine BRONZE, Livonia, Michigan
Catherine BRONZE, Livonia, Michigan

Millions of years ago, I believe that animals existed that we couldn’t that we couldn’t believe were real unless we could see them with our own eyes.

Now what you do see every day is buildings that have been or are being built that we don’t really need. As of 2001, 2,000 McDonalds are built each year in the United States alone. The question is do we need that many? Other stores we see every time we enter a new town (or at least it seems that way) are coffee shops, targets or Wal-Mart’s, and shoe stores. Yes, having these things in the world are okay, but do we need so many of them?

Amazing animals are killed each day, or they are put on the endangered species list, one of the reasons we have 609 animals on the endangered species list is because they are losing their homes due to construction of new buildings. Some are needed, like hospitals, but some are not needed, like the 8th fast food place in your town. The next time you see a new store you’re excited to be built, remember our helpless animals out there crying for help……and a home.

Animals aren’t the only one that are losing homes to the construction of, let’s say, the new Arby’s down the street. 711 different plant species are also on the endangered species list. Some people think that plants are not important to us, but they are in many ways. They produce carbon dioxide which we need to have to breathe, and some plants produce us food.

If we had pictures from thousands maybe millions of years ago, our world would be full of plants, animals and huge forests. But as we started to arrive, we forgot how much we rely on these animals and plants that were a gift to us, and we ruined it all.

CDABC said...
CDABC, Old Tappan, New Jersey
As a fellow environmentalist, I couldn't agree more with your feelings. But by the same token, you must also understand that humans are, like you implied, too caught up in the conveniences of new stores and homes to care about animals and plants in the area. Even if we were to tear down every McDonalds in the US, it would take a long while before succession could make the land as it once was. All we can do is take a stand and hope for the best for the environment.

kayla, you are the only person who has been giving me cunstructive critisim and i appreciate that. again what i ment about all the mikey ds, is that do we really need two a mile apart from each other?

Sam-a-lam-a said...
I like your article Catherine!

Hannahbananarama BRONZE, Livonia, Michigan
wow, nice story. i like how you had your facts straight. we dont need that many mcdonalds, but if you think about it, without them, our economy would be worse than it already is

ARQUETTE1996 said...
Wow catherine you wrote so well it almost made me cry because the one sentence said "remember our helpless animals out there crying for help……and a home."-- i almost started crying it really mad e me think....is there some way u can edit your storey cause 1st paragraph u said there twice

-Alyssa