YOU. | Teen Ink

YOU.

March 1, 2019
By addierus BRONZE, Crozet, Virginia
addierus BRONZE, Crozet, Virginia
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

YOU.

Are you finding yourself there more for others than yourself? Then hear me out, this is for you. When you are there for others you tend to forget about yourself. If you are letting people choose where to go on a date more, try having yourself choose once and a while. If you are typically the one who is having everyone’s backs during a situation, but nobody has yours take that time and worry for you. After a while of pushing yourself away and taking more care towards others makes you less happy. You may be happy for your friends, but not for yourself. Things become harder for you because you end up forgetting things you need to do. It may seem like in this article I am using the word “you” a little too much, sure maybe. But sometimes that’s what someone has to do to get it through your head that putting yourself first sometimes isn’t selfish, it’s just good for you. Let's get to the point now. You may be asking, well how do I get out of some of these situations? Well, here's a tip. When a friend asks you for something small, then you can help. If someone asks you to help with them on a little bit of a bigger task, tell them you are going to spend some time on your own to figure out yourself and that this task would be better for them to try and handle it, and that if they needed some small help then you'd be up for it. I'm not saying to push your friends away, I'm saying just stop putting bigger tasks onto yourself. You may not realize it, like I didn't either. But after a while it gets worse for you, changes start happening, people rely on you too much so you get in a confused ball. And it is hard, and that is why stepping back is a great thing to do. The whole point in this is that you need to put yourself first sometimes, even in bigger situations. Whether it's going out  to eat, or trying to help a friend with a relationship. Things get hard, especially as a teen. Know you can step back and you won't be known any different. Take care of YOU.  

Signed, Addie R.


The author's comments:

Do you typically put yourself first?, Or others? If you typically put others first, this is for you. This article is to show taking care of yourself, and giving yourself credit for the things you do. Having a big heart is a gift, but sometimes you could tend to forget about what YOU want or how YOU are doing. It's time to give YOUrself some love. Taking major tasks after a while gets repetetive and also unhealthy and no fun.