Speaking Out About Mental Health in Schools | Teen Ink

Speaking Out About Mental Health in Schools

May 19, 2019
By Maia BRONZE, Cedar Park, Texas
Maia BRONZE, Cedar Park, Texas
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Mental health is a significant part of everyone's lives but is not talked about nearly enough. People are left in the dark and struggle to get by on their own. They can't find someone to talk to, aren't able to afford the help they need, or simply feel alone in their struggles. Mental health shouldn't be a scary or foreign concept for us, yet it is. In this society, we are taught to be afraid of mental disorders and issues surrounding mental health despite the fact that it is a real topic for most people in the world today. But if there are so many people struggling, why can't we talk about it?
 
Major Flaw In School Systems
Schools, kids, teenagers, and even adults seem to never bring up the subject of mental health. With school-aged children and teens being one of the most significant and growing groups of people with these struggles, it is more important than ever to spread awareness and spark conversation. In a study done by Youth in 2010, it showed just how many kids and teens suffered from these mental health disorders, explaining that 1 in 4 youth meets criteria for a lifetime of mental health problems. Because so many of these youth suffer, letting those people know they are not alone, giving them resources and educating the rest of us what they are going through and how to help makes so much sense, right? However, I have learned through school systems and other families that it is too sensitive of a topic to bring up. In fact, most families with members suffering from mental health issues prefer to have it kept a secret as if struggles many people can relate to and learn from are a disgrace or an embarrassment. It is crucial to speak out about this for others when schools, workplaces, families, and many other important everyday settings can't even brush on the topic. Because of this stigma, there are many people out there who are kept "a secret" or "in the dark" because the society is pushing us to believe that mental health issues simply aren't worth talking about, especially in school, where it is arguably most important. Being there for your students and children doesn't mean just making them eat healthily and practice good hygiene or encouraging them to learn more in school, it also means realizing when they may be struggling mentally and being equipped to help them. Educating students and parents about what to do when a person close to you is going through these difficulties is crucial in order for everybody to get a better understanding of what mental health really means. Although we are getting better, there is still so much to be done in relation to educating youth and even adults in how to talk about and act upon mental health in a helpful, intelligent way.
 
End The Stigma
Ending the stigma around mental health among school youth and educational settings is something I am passionate about, and want to happen. Talk to your school administrators and staff or a nearby school about incorporating more mental health education and spread the word about awareness. If you, a family member, close friend, or anybody you know is struggling to reach out and talk openly about the help they need or is in danger, here are some helpful resources:

www.mentalhealth.gov

suicidepreventionlifeline.org/

Call: 1-800-273-8255 for the Suicide Prevention Hotline


The author's comments:

Hi! My name is Maia, and I am an aspiring teenage writer based in Texas passionate about social reform and pineapple on pizza. I hope this article caught your attention and helped you or someone else you know.