Alive to Tell | Teen Ink

Alive to Tell MAG

By nextkidd30 SILVER, Oregon, Wisconsin
nextkidd30 SILVER, Oregon, Wisconsin

"Now join your hands, and with your hands your hearts."
-- William Shakespeare

There isn't a night I'll remember more vividly than December 26, when my girlfriend and I were struck head-on by a drunk driver – the night when the choice to wear our seatbelts saved our lives.

Emily and I were driving along a rural road, heading for a movie. I was behind a couple of cars, following them out of town. I was rounding a slight bend when brake lights began to flash and the cars in front of me swerved off the road. Before I knew what was happening, a pair of piercing headlights were in my lane, blinding me. I had no chance to react before the impact.

I blacked out, waking minutes later to someone asking if I was okay. Still dazed, I told him I felt banged up but didn't think I was seriously injured. I could hear Emily talking to someone too, and I realized with relief that she was all right. I asked about the driver of the other vehicle and the man said she was fine but that she smelled like alcohol.

I couldn't believe the other driver had been drinking. I felt incredibly frustrated. To think that someone's stupid decision to drink and drive could have ended Emily's life or mine infuriated me.

Emily was able to get out of the car on her own, but I couldn't. The driver's side was so smashed that the door wouldn't open and the dashboard pinned me against my seat. I sat in the cold, wearing only a thin shirt, for an hour before the firemen managed to pry me out with the jaws of life.

Later, a sheriff's deputy visited my parents who were by my side in the trauma center of the hospital. I overheard him say it was the woman's third drunk driving offense. Why she was even allowed on the road?

The soreness and frustration from that night carried into the next few days, especially when my father and I went to the junk yard to see my car. I could hardly believe my eyes. It was so contorted that it didn't look like a vehicle anymore. I couldn't help but wonder how we made it out alive. I felt queasy as the memories flooded back.

I was involved in a head-on collision with a drunk driver the day after Christmas and was lucky to suffer only a bruised wrist and a few stitches. I feel very grateful; I know that Emily or I could have died that night. It was a shocking reminder of how one bad decision can affect many lives.

After my accident my body was too sore to really do anything but write, so I turned my experience into an 8,000 word short story over the period of about a week. This is just a synopsis of it that I thought I'd take the time to create and share with other people my age.

Gatorpoet SILVER, Tavares, Florida
Drunk driving is dangerous and unsafe, but how can you prevent it? No matter what you do, how many laws you make, or who you forbid to drive they will end up on the road some way, some how. I'm glad you and your girfriend are alive and could share this story to show how stupid of an act it really is.

dragonfan SILVER, Arcidia, Indiana

"Death truly makes an artist"

i agree with every one it looks like alot of ur friends and you girlfriend are glad you both made it out ok. Every one should know drinking and driving normaly ends in a death . Evan tho i dont know you im glad the both of you are safe! =]

ilovetinkerbell GOLD, Raytown, Missouri

Be yourself!!!

I am so glad you and your girlfriend are okay. I pray that everyone understands that it isn't safe to drink and drive and that the person who hit you understand that she shouldn't frink and drive anymore. You are very luck to live. Thanks to God on that one. Great job on the story.

Fredwardness SILVER, Romeo, Michigan

"The stars are blazing like rebel diamonds cut out of the sun" -The Killers (Read My Mind)

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." -George Harrison

lol good job, your experience showed me how dangerous drunk driving is. If others could read this i think it could be good for them. Im happy that you and emily were ok. =)

Destyni BRONZE said...
Destyni BRONZE, Edmonton, Other
I don't know you... but I think THis article is amazing! You should find a way to share that 8000 word short story with people! i'd love to read it.

alexb9124 said...
Jason, just like what everyone else had already said, we are all glad that you had made it alive and that that seemed like the scariest car accident that I'v heard of. Your writting is SO good! GREAT ARTICAL! KEEP WRITTING!

-AB

Jason you're such an amazing writer.

The way you wrote it made it feel like i was standing right there...

Awesomeee job.

scariest night of my life. i cant help but remember back to that night and wanting to go in ur ambulance with u rather than have my own. im just so happy no permanent damage was done.

arbresser said...
awhh, jas.. i love it. you're and amazing writer. keep writing, the first two have been really good. :)

windblossom said...
windblossom, Hyderabad, Other

"The caterpillar does all the hard work, but the butterfly gets all the publicity"

Its a very well written piece! I could almost see through all of what you've been...Thx for sharing it with all of us!

Anthonyy said...
We all love you jay, so glad to have you here

kayla. said...
jas you already know what im going to say but this is really good keep writting friend :)