The Toll of the Pandemic On Adolescents | Teen Ink

The Toll of the Pandemic On Adolescents

By AditiBohre BRONZE, Robbinsville, New Jersey
AditiBohre BRONZE, Robbinsville, New Jersey

Throughout the course of the year, the coronavirus pandemic has altered the lives of adolescents in copious ways. As schools are shutting down, get-togethers are being canceled, and plans start going awry, the effects of the coronavirus have caused a significant change in the lives of adolescents. With no one to turn to, how can a teen thrive in these conditions without the support of their friends and experiencing the benefits of being in a care-free environment? 

Our easy carefree environment has been replaced with a world of masks and being socially distanced. Masks and remaining six feet apart from others have become the new norm. Parents are becoming stricter about allowing their children to be surrounded by their friends in the midst of the pandemic. Teens haven’t adapted to a life without interacting with their friends on a daily basis. This separation can lead to feelings of sadness. At times teens may experience a feeling of frustration. They don’t know when quarantine will end and they yearn for life to return to the way it used to be. However, who is lending a helping hand for them when the situation worsens? Who is providing teenagers comfort and letting them know their emotions are valid? Most teens never experience support or comfort from their family or friends during difficult times because they never show their emotions to others. Many teens fear expressing their thoughts and emotions to others because they don’t want others to perceive this as a sign of weakness. 

In the world we live in, it is rare for people to show their thoughts and emotions. Due to this, their feelings are bottled inside of them and cause mental and emotional stress. Stress can cause mental health problems, lack of focus, and even take a toll on a teenager’s physical health. It can also affect their academic performance. If their own friends and family don’t validate their feelings, who will? Who is supporting them when they are down, talking to them during tough times, letting them know they aren’t alone? The truth is not many people take the time to recognize these feelings. Hence, teenagers should ensure that they make time out of their day for their own mental well-being. 

Here are a few tips on improving your mental health during the coronavirus pandemic: 

1. Interact with others. Spend time with friends and family.
2. Surround yourself with supportive friends.
3. Spend time outdoors.
4. Meditate.
5. Manage stress.
6. Do something you enjoy or pick up a new hobby.
7. Be active
8. Talk to someone about your feelings. 

I am a high school student and mental health advocate. I am working towards creating a supportive and healthy community for everyone to thrive in.