Is Mental Health Education Important at the School Level? | Teen Ink

Is Mental Health Education Important at the School Level?

June 24, 2022
By Karuna-J BRONZE, Gurugram, Other
Karuna-J BRONZE, Gurugram, Other
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

There is no health without mental health. The World Health Organisation states this in unequivocal terms. It says that 16% (over one-sixth) of the global burden of disease and injury in the age group of 10-19 years is caused by mental health problems. However, a majority of them do not seek help or receive care. These problems when left untreated, extend into adulthood manifesting in a variety of physical and mental health conditions, affecting the quality of life of people. 


A person’s mental growth happens during the early stages of life through childhood and adolescence. Rapid growth and development takes place in the brain during this period with the acquisition of cognitive and social-emotional skills. This is accompanied by significant and often difficult biological changes. Studies show that 50% of mental illnesses begin by the age of 14. This clearly indicates the need for awareness so that we can prevent and address these illnesses as early as we can.


The well-being and development of children and adolescents is determined to a great extent by the quality of the living environment. Early negative experiences and stresses in the immediate and larger environment play a significant role in affecting mental growth and development and the overall state of mind. 


The predominant triggers causing mental health issues include socio-economic conditions of families, psychological and emotional stresses, biological changes, etc. As mentioned earlier, mental health issues tend to become evident in the early years of adolescence. The desire for greater autonomy, pressure to conform with peers and in current times, increased access to information and use of technology, all contribute to being stress factors affecting mental health in adolescents.


Most of the available data on mental health is based on studies done in Western countries. Issues of mental health are not widely and openly discussed in societies which are traditional in their orientation, such as India, where there is limited awareness regarding mental health and there are various misconceptions and stigmas surrounding the topic. Social stigma is the biggest reason why mental health issues are often not discussed openly. Unlike physical health problems which get addressed as and when they arise, mental health is rarely given the attention it deserves. 


Shouldn’t we be prioritising mental well-being? For ourselves and for those around us?


Education regarding physical health is already a part of our school curriculum. Topics like physical fitness and good nutrition have been taught to us for years and we have also learnt about how our bodies work and puberty.


It’s important to recognize that mental health and physical health are not separate. They are interconnected and have serious impacts on each other. Individuals struggling with mental health issues may begin to neglect their physical health or do things that damage their body or leads to an illness. A person who is experiencing physical health problems may begin to experience mental health problems as a result of their symptoms or the impacts of their illness or injury in their daily life.


Schools need to be portraying mental health as equally important and crucial as physical health. That starts with making mental health education a required part of education across all schools. 


People don’t take mental health seriously because they don't understand it. They don’t understand it because they have never been taught about it. Thus, there is no open dialogue about it. People with mental health issues tend to not share their problems and bottle them up which makes it worse. There is a lack of support for them hence people often turn to using drugs, alcohol or self-harm as coping mechanisms. 


Talking about mental health in homes and schools should be normalized. The breaking down of stigma and misconceptions about mental illnesses has to start in schools. We spend most of our early and formative years at school. School is where friendships are made. It is where most of us develop our sense of self-worth. Many students experience conflicts, bullying and social exclusion at school. Our behaviour towards others can cause serious self-worth issues in them. There are also the stresses of schoolwork and the expectations of our parents and others. All these together can cause damage to one’s mental wellbeing.


Changes in behaviour become evident when a person's mental health is affected. This can be spotted before the illness becomes full-blown. Learning about early warning signs, and taking action can help. This can reduce the severity of the illness, and it may even be possible to prevent or delay the development of a major mental illness. Feeling disconnected, nervousness, withdrawal, mood changes, drop in performance and changes in eating patterns are all signs of something being amiss.


With increased awareness, the stigma and misconceptions around mental health can be greatly reduced and people might be more willing to talk about their problems. Information and resources to address mental health issues can help us respond with sensitivity, and ask for help where necessary. Most importantly, those suffering from mental health issues need to know that they are not alone.


Schools have to create safe spaces for discussion and free expression around mental health. Schools should provide mental health education. Schools should normalize talking about mental health. This is necessary to create a safer and healthier environment for us to grow up in.