The Day My Life Changed | Teen Ink

The Day My Life Changed

By Rebecca Deterding BRONZE, Fergus Falls, Minnesota
Rebecca Deterding BRONZE, Fergus Falls, Minnesota

Creative Writing

3/3/09

The Day My Life Changed
“We are going to need to draw some blood,” said Dr. Herman “These blue and purple spots on your body are not suppose to be were they are at.” My mother is face went from a questioning look to being more of a concerned look. Dr. Herman sat down and took his glasses off and started to explain that the spots are only supposed to appear on wrists and the neck. Mine was on my back and legs. He told us “I not sure what it could be but, it doesn’t look right.” I just started to cry cause I hated needles. I wasn’t upset that there might be something wrong with me; I just didn’t want anything poking me. I was eleven and no eleven year old likes needles. The nurses come in and explained that it not as bad as I think it is. So they told me to lie down and turn my head away. I asked my mom for her hand so I could squeeze it when the pain comes. I was lying they’re wondering when is it going to happen and all the sudden I felt a little poke. The next thing I knew they said they were done. I was shocked. “I didn’t feel really anything.” I told them. I felt so relieved. So the short blonde-haired nurse turned to my mom and told her “We will call you later on today to tell you the results.”
My mother questioned saying, “ What if the results come back and they don’t look good? Do we come back and take more tests?” The other nurse who had dark brown-hair wear rounded wired glass and who seemed older and wiser answered, “You will have to see what the doctors says. So we picked up our coats and other belongs and headed home. We were wondering what it could be? Later on that day we got the call from Dr. Herman saying “You and your daughter need to go St. Louis Children’s Hospital, her blood is lower then it should be and that she might have something wrong with her after all.” I was thinking what in the world would it be. You see I wasn’t bright I wasn’t thinking anything long term I was thinking like if it was a rare type of flu or something. So my mom hurried me to the hospital, which is a forty-five minute drive. When we got to St. Louis Children’s Hospital, my mother and I were told to go to 4th floor and where a signs says oncology, and we would meet Dr. Chung. He was an oriental guy that he seemed like he knew what he was doing, but just to be sure we listened on what he had to say. The words I heard were “procedure,” and “testing” and even the word “cancer”. I `thought to myself “No I not going to have cancer they are going to find out I have nothing wrong with me and I will be sent home and live happily ever after!” But I ended up going though the procedure.
The next day the procedure is called a bone marrow biopsy. A bone marrow biopsy is a procedure that they take a thick needle and put it in the hip bone and suck a little bone marrow out for testing. The good thing about it is they put you out, so you don’t feel it happening to you. After the biopsy I woke up and I felt like someone kicked me in the lower back. Dr. Chung told my mother “You can go home and wait for the results that come in a week.” One week later we got the phone call that changed my life forever. “Rebecca has a disease called aplastic anemia.” Dr. Chung reply “It is condition that can lead to cancer because aplastic anemia is a pre cancer disease,” He explained “There nothing we can do right now cause it not bad enough to start chemo, radiation and transplant.” Those are words people dreaded the most to hear. “All we can do is wait,” he told us. He also explained “She cannot be in contact sports.” Which means good-bye volleyball, basketball, street hockey, street football, and gymnastics the sport I loved the most in life. I realized that I couldn’t do anything about it and God obviously thought that I could handle it. Now I looked at the bright side of things and how I saved some people who were going down the wrong way in life and felt like there is nothing left to live for. When people see me and know that I am sick they wonder why I am not mad. I have shown them to never give up and get mad just make the best of it. I know that I have brought one person to God. It felt good when I heard that they were suicidal and when they met me and happy I was even though I was really sick. They realized that people have it way worst and some people fight to live every day. I am glad that I made a big difference in someone’s life and that is the day when my life changed forever.