Nutrition Letter | Teen Ink

Nutrition Letter

By JeremyYoo BRONZE, Los Angeles, California
JeremyYoo BRONZE, Los Angeles, California

Dear Health and Nutrition Leaders,

I hope that this letter finds you well. I am writing to address a critical problem that impacts millions of people throughout the world. The widespread lack of nutritional education and awareness. Despite significant advances in healthcare and technology, many individuals throughout the world suffer from preventable diseases linked to malnutrition. In order to promote healthier lifestyles and prevent diseases linked to malnutrition, it is crucial that we reconsider how we approach nutrition and food education within our communities.

Poor nutrition is a major contributor to health problems such as obesity, diabetes, and heart disease. According to the World Health Organization, around 2.8 million people die each year due to obesity-related conditions. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention reports that about 11.6% of Americans, which is about 38.4 million Americans,  are affected by diabetes. These numbers warrant immediate action and ways to prevent such illnesses.

Japan’s successful approach to a nutritional education program proves that achieving a healthier lifestyle is possible. Japan’s food education program, mandated by the Basic Law on Shokuiku enacted in 2004, depicts the importance of healthy eating habits and a balanced diet from a young age. This program involved the entire community including schools, families, and local governments, in order to create a nutritional education environment. As a result of enacting this program, Japan now has one of the lowest obesity rates among several countries as well as a high average life expectancy.

Japan’s Basic Law on Shokuiku is a comprehensive and community-based nutritional program. Schools play a central role, with curriculums that include lessons on nutrition and healthy eating. These lessons are supported by other activities such as school lunch programs in which the students help prepare and serve the meals themselves. Many families are also kept engaged through workshops and seminars while local governments support these initiatives with public campaigns and resources. For American schools, a similar program could be adopted with careful consideration for cultural differences and dietary habits. Additional benefits include fostering a sense of community and providing students with lifelong skills and knowledge about nutrition. These essential skills can help students develop practical skills in meal planning and preparation, which can lead to healthier food choices and habits that persist into adulthood. This approach can not only improve an individual’s health outcomes but it can also reduce healthcare costs link to nutrition-related diseases. Furthermore, it can enhance students’ academic performance and cognitive development, as proper nutrition is linked to better concentration and learning abilities.

Schools should implement nutritional education into their curriculums. Some ways in which they can do this is by including health classes, visits from nutrition experts, as well as hands-on activities such as cooking classes. These activities can help students develop an understanding of healthy eating habits. Communities should also establish local food education centers that serve as a place for nutritional education, ultimately providing valuable information and support to the community members.

In order to support these efforts, it is crucial for policymakers to allocate funding and resources to nutritional education programs. Public health campaigns can help raise awareness about the importance of a balanced diet and provide tips to make healthier food choices.

In conclusion, improving nutritional education and awareness is crucial for combating preventable diseases and promoting healthier lifestyles. I urge you, the leaders in health and nutrition, to  take steps towards implementing nutritional education programs in order to improve the lifestyles for all. 

Sincerely,

Jeremy Yoo

Sources

“Obesity.” World Health Organization, June 9, 2021, www.who.int/news-room/facts-in-pictures/detail/6-facts-on-obesity.  

“National Diabetes Statistics Report.” Diabetes, 15 May 2024, www.cdc.gov/diabetes/php/data-research/index.html.

“Food Education the Law in Japan.” CBC, 12 Jan. 2015,

www.cbc.ca/news/health/food-education-the-law-in-japan-1.2894279. 

“Basic Act on Shokuiku (Food and Nutrition Education) - English - Japanese Law Translation.” Www.japaneselawtranslation.go.jp, www.japaneselawtranslation.go.jp/en/laws/view/3419/en.