No Body Is Perfect | Teen Ink

No Body Is Perfect MAG

I walked down the aisles looking for a pattern in my favorite clothing store. Just my luck, they had the cutest shorts – but only in sizes 0, 1, 3, 7, and 9. I wear a 13. Annoyed and devastated I walked out thinking, I’m just too fat.

The next week, at my grandmother’s house for the traditional spaghetti dinner, my cousin and his girlfriend, Ivy, joined us. We had a delicious dinner. Afterward, the women sat around talking about dieting and their weight and whatnot. My aunt complimented Ivy on how skinny she looked for weighing 120 pounds. My aunt said that she needed to go on a diet because she weighed almost 140 pounds. This comment kind of hurt me because I weigh almost 160 pounds. So I said, “I probably need to go on a diet too,” but I said this softly so, hopefully, they wouldn’t hear me.

Ivy, however, was sitting right next to me and heard what I said. She took me into the other room with her, and we sat on the bed. “When I was in my senior year of high school, I weighed 140 pounds,” she said. “I felt so insecure. I couldn’t imagine any guys would want to be with me because of how fat I was. I tried eating less, dieting, exercise, but nothing seemed to work. That was when I realized that no body is perfect. No anorexically skinny girl will ever be skinny enough for society to say that her body is ‘perfect,’ because then she would be considered ‘unhealthy.’”

I thought a lot about this for the next few days and realized that no one had ever called me fat, except when my mom was joking with me. So why was I so caught up with how much I weighed? Why was I so consumed by a number that does nothing but mock you? This number labels and classifies you and tells you “You can’t fit into those jeans because you’re 160 pounds. You can’t go out with him because you’re 160 pounds. No one will want to hang out with you because you’re 160 pounds” over and over.

I decided that I wasn’t going to let my weight rule my life. I wasn’t going to let it decide what I should and should not wear. At that point I realized that I, too, believe that no body is perfect, that no girl can be skinny enough, and that all those people who tell you the “anorexic look” is in are probably so uncomfortable with their own weight that they have to make other people self-conscious just to make themselves feel better.

So, anytime I start to feel self-conscious about my weight, I think to myself, Anorexia? I think not.

1617almost said...
1617almost, Ukiah, California
Nice story! I have never had this problem tho. For me it was im too skinney! I always wanted to be like my cousins that made fun of me! but then I just ignored it and I stayed really active doing sports and stuff. im now in pretty good shape and my cousins well you can say they arent what i expected them to turn out like! so just forget about trying to have a perfect body. Love how you look and that will help you through just about anything!

Im in sevemth grade and I feel exactly the same....im one ofm the biggest people in my family and prolly in my class. I weigh about 150 but still feel self conciece but i never let it get to mee anymoree

Hey! Veg >.< said...

I understand! I was THE chubbiest kid in my grade school classes. I thought I'd never be "normal".

(of course, my sister is the tallest, slimmest creature on the earth and this doesn't help)

Dieting or disliking yourself need not be a solution. Find a physical activity that you love. Lose yourself in it and learn to love yourself for who you are and what your body is. It  carries you everywhere you go.

Good luck with whatever you do!

Veg

ZaiinaS said...
ZaiinaS, Asheville, North Carolina

"You Can Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me"

Okay After reading most of these comments

i feel super skinny

and imma happy

id rather be that than Fat

unknown said...
used to be picked on wen in elementury but Now im in middell school and have tons of freneds and i dont let people bother me any more and the insaltes have stoped

Crazymexican GOLD, Jay, Maine

not sure

thats the way to stay positive

Hollyss SILVER said...
Hollyss SILVER, Stafford, Virginia

"Fiction reveals what reality obscures"-Jessamyn West
"You can't leap a 20-ft chasm in 2 10-ft jumps."-Anonymous

I once felt so self-conscious that I was afraid to go out in anything less than jeans and a T-shirt. Some rude guys had called me fat to bother me, and my dad even called me fat and made me weigh myself in front of the whole family. I was humiliated! But my friends all told me how pretty I was and how I had never looked fat to them. They helped me feel happy about myself and I love them for that.

hrf1434 GOLD said...
hrf1434 GOLD, Collierville, Tennessee

Don't Judge a Girl by Her Cover

Hey, I know what you mean, I'm 12 and way 128.2 pounds. and hate my body, but I know what you mean. God made me, you and everyone different so why fight who we are. 

peachy37 BRONZE, Opelousas, Louisiana

"The ones we love never truly leave us." --Albus Dumbledore

"The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes but in having new eyes." --Marcel Proust

I am a size 13. I'm 5'7 and weigh around 170lbs. I've weighed this much since my freshman year of high school, and I love my body. This is very inspiring. I'm so glad you wrote this. I hope to see more articles from you soon!

Love,

Chloe

paperandpen said...
I hate when people look at you, and don't say a word, but you can imagine what they're saying in their heads about you...because it hurts maybe even more, than their words itself...

TerryBerry15 BRONZE, Hammond, Louisiana
1 article 1 photo 3 comments

Live,Laugh,Love,-& Learn frm your mistakes.,!

I like this article because everyday people make fun of Fat people and it's not fair because we're just a little skinnier than them being overweight dosn't mean no one will like you!I hang out with all kinds of people and I look at them for their personality not just their looks and how big they are.,!

FadetoFluorescent SILVER, Cincinnati, Ohio

The writing in this article isn't amazing, but the meaning shows through. Though I do want to offer a little . . . sensitivity training, perhaps:

A lot of your readers here would be girls or boys who have dealt with weight issues, but perhaps a bit harsher than you have. Maybe they've actually struggled with anorexia, bulimia, self-harm, or things of the sort. Because this is a large part of your audience, you may want to refrain from using 'anorexic' as an adjective. It is not a body type, it is a disease. And it is not to be taken lightly; it takes lives.

As someone who's struggled with this, you know, anorexia, I can personally say that using the label to describe a malnourished body is sometimes offensive and always sounds uneducated. 

Just some friendly advice c:

Keep writing!

LadyShady GOLD said...
LadyShady GOLD, Jamaica, New Jersey

"To the people I forgot, you weren't on my mind for some reason and you probably don't deserve any thanks anyway." - Eminem

I Wish I Could Feel That Way About Myself...

ReadingFanatic SILVER, St. Louis, Missouri

“Nobody important? Blimey, that’s amazing. Do you know, in nine hundred years of time and space I’ve never met anyone who wasn’t important before.”

I'm 90 pounds, and I'm not starving, in fact I usually eat more than my friends, I just exercise over an hour usually each day. (PE is 45 minutes, plus 15 minutes or more of dance) Kudos for you, for loving yourself no matter what. :)

Im 5'11", 16 and weight around 165. I can nt remember when i weight 10 pounds. Just because you have to wear a size 12 dress doesnt mean you are fat. It just means thats what size fits your body and make you look great. Alway wear something that fits you, even if its a bigger size than you would like. It will make you look better than trying to fit into a much smaller size.

lena1918 said...
yeah! i know what you're getting at i feel the same way...i way 156 lbs and im only in middle school all of my friends are soo skinny they are like toothpicks! but i get soo insecure around them because they try to diet and stuff...i've tried believe me i've tried and i didn't work i just can't stop eating...i know i need self-control but i dont have any...but i get what you're sayin about the whole "that guy won't date you cuz you're 160 lbs" cuz believe me i have never had a boyfriend...but im okay with that.

jkjk123 said...
jkjk123, New York, New York

yesterday is history tomorrow is a mystery
today is a gift and that is why it is called the present

- Alice Earle

every girl IS beautiful

maybe ur not the skinniest or the tallest

maybe ur eys shine lke crystal pools of blue from aruba

or maybe ur hair shines like a thousand suns (if ur a brunette) ur eyes are so dark it is addictive to look at and ur hair looks like beautiful shiny copper

EMBRACE UR BODY

shape isnt everything and those derrogatory "yo momma" jokes are rude and made for insecure people to feel good about themselves cuz they know they r messed up too

People like you are the reason more  people are becoming depressed. Ome of the kids in my school THAT I WAS CLOSE TO! killed himself because people were making fun of him because he was a little bigger than everyone else no kid should have to become that depressed over the number on the back of their pants so i suggest you get a reality check

J&J BFF 4EVR said...
i totally get how you feel, girl. i;m 5'6, 13, adn weigh 130-140 pounds; idr which............i can fit in anything froma size 3 to a size 10, and it can get really embarressing when i cant fit into the smaller sizes. this article maes me a whole lot ore confident; who cares if you have curves? it just makes you a whole lot more smexy. ;)

Im 15 and i dont even weigh 100 pounds yet! I still have to wear kids clothes! Embrace your body!