8 Healthy Halloween Treats that Taste Good | Teen Ink

8 Healthy Halloween Treats that Taste Good

October 17, 2007
By Anonymous

So...how much leftover Halloween candy do you polish off every year?!? And who doesn't feel a little spooky about giving out fistfuls of sugar-covered fat? Fright night, indeed. On the other hand, guilt-free hand-outs-- trail mix baggies, mini raisin boxes, tangerines--are no treat if all you hear are disappointed sighs from princesses and superheroes. Solution? Do your sweet shopping at health-food stores, where finding these 8 treats isn't tricky. Classroom and office friends will love them--and so will their bodies!

1. Let's Do...Organic Jelly Gummi Bears
These fat-free organic bears come in 80-calorie packages, so no one overdoes it. Though a little less gummy than traditional ones, the natural fruit flavors like elderberry and apricot are yummy.

2. Tiny Trapeze Caramels
Love Rolos? Try these chewy caramels. They have less than half the fat and calories of Rolos, and they're made with organic cocoa powder and cane juice. Everyone will snarf them up.

3. Figamajigs
Kids will think they're extra-rich raisin-filled candy bars. Adults will love the chewy goodness of figs wrapped in delicious dark chocolate. And guess what? They're low-fat (only 1.5 g saturated fat), high fiber (5g) and covered with heart-healthy almonds.

4. Reed's Ginger Candy Chews
These bite-size candies deliver a mouthful of sweet, spicy flavor for just 25 calories a pop. Ginger's a natural tummy soother too, which may offset the side effects of treat overload.

5. Florida's Natural Pocket Fruit-to-Go Stiks
Like fruit roll-ups but healthier, these organic, no-gluten, fat-free chew sticks are bursting with natural flavors and only 8 grams of sugar, half of it from juice. Available in small, 40-calorie packs.

6. Angel Mints
While there's nothing that devilish about Lifesaver mints, Angels have less sugar, fewer calories and no artificial flavors: Their tingly taste comes from pure peppermint oil. Stash a few for days when you're brain-drained--peppermint perks up mental alertness.

7. Trader Joe's Dark Chocolate Edamame
Think chocolate-covered peanuts. But instead you--uh, your friends--get dry-roasted edamame covered in semi-sweet chocolate. For about the same calories, greedy goblins are also getting fiber (5g), protein (7g) and only half the sugar of M&M's.

8. CoCoaVia Blueberry and Almond Chocolate Bars
Finally! A real heart-healthy candy bar: flavanoid-rich dark chocolate, almonds high in healthy fat, blueberries bursting with protective antioxidants and some B vitamins. At only 100 calories, 3g of saturated fat and 9g of sugar, it's okay to be slightly wicked on Halloween.

Is it really worth going out of your way for healthier treats? You bet. Bad fats can send weight and RealAge soaring. Now that's scary!