Twisted Tale | Teen Ink

Twisted Tale

I used to have a hunchback. I used to be scared of people calling me names or hating me. Now I'm not though, my ordeal has taught me lessons - 1. to tolerate others because you never know why they are acting different and also 2.No pain no gain.
Two years ago -though it seems like yesterday- I found out I had scoliosis,curvature of the spine. I was devasted and remember sitting on the sofa until 11pm numb with shock.
A year after that ,although my surgeon wanted me to have my operation over Christmas, and I was horrified and asked him to please wait - so he did till February, I went into the hospital . I signed in to Ward 17 and waited for my operation with a group of other girls. Sadly , though, I had caught a cold and my operation was cancelled - after all the pain to get there.
Nevertheless - after many cancelled attempts - I had the surgery in the March , and was in a lot of pain. When I finally felt better and well enough to go into school part time to sit my tests , my friends helped me loads, I realised how bad my sister, with joint problems, must feel being in pain, and so I learned to tolerate it if she needed a lot of attention.
Through my operation and the experiences that followed, I have started being a penpal with a girl called Sarah, found out my sister actually has mild scoliosis - but thankfully not bad enough for treatment AND started a scoliosis campaign to start testing for scoliosis in schools in my country.
As I sit writing this, I have a slight back ache , which is rare, but really I don't mind because through my operation I have gained a straight back , learned how good my friends and family really are and...

Discovered myself.

My inspiration for this article is the last two years of my life and I hope that readers will learn how good their lives really are - or if they are worse of then me what an illness can teach you - and if you have scoliosis , that you are not alone.

Into the sun said...
i also got scoliosis surgery, it was very painful... i like you article :)

Incitata BRONZE, Cincinnati, Ohio

"That's what the conspirators want you to think, dear."

I had scoliosis at one time, and I still have back pains.  I'm sorry, I know how bad it can hurt.

Bethani GOLD said...
Bethani GOLD, Highlands Ranch, Colorado

Life is perfect until you sit back and realize how boring it is without risks.

I have scoliosis too