Do You Know | Teen Ink

Do You Know

December 11, 2007
By Anonymous

Do you know of anyone that suffers from obesity that may be risking their life, and you think they should do something about it? You should inform them on the dangers of obesity and that it risks their health. When someone eats more calories then their body can burn off, their bodies store the extra calories as fat and they consider these people obese. Obesity affects your health and emotions, therefore very dangerous.

First, obesity can cause many terrible diseases. For example, a few of these diseases that arise from obesity include Diabetes and Heart Disease. Fat stored in your body that causes someone to be overweight can affect your joints, breathing, sleeping, mood, and your energy levels. If you are obese, you may want to watch for signs of these problems and consider going to a doctor and make sure you are not developing any o these awful diseases.

Secondly, it may cause many health problems. For instance, Blount’s bone deformity on the lower legs arose by hauling around extra weight. Arthritis or tearing of the joints causes severe pain. Sleep apnea, which occurs when a person stops breathing while sleeping, causes heart problems. High blood pressure, high cholesterol, and depression can also be caused by obesity or extra fat.

Lastly, countless Americans have become obese because of the numerous fast food chains we have developed. Also, as we all are familiar with, America tops the chart as the fattest country in the world. In my opinion, obesity continues to take over Americans and people need to help decrease this problem.

Some solutions to this problem might include diets or exercise. Certain diets that may help are the Jenny Craig diet, the South Beach diet, or body for life, and many others. Exercise varies in ways, and difficulties and does not take very long. To start off, do fifty sit-ups and 5 push-ups everyday, and maybe add in a light jog. A lot of people avoid exercise because they think that it takes too long and hard.

To conclude, obese people in America should pay attention and notice their obesity and do something about it. They need to notice obesity as a very dangerous health problem and deal with it right away. So, next time you think about eating a brownie or something fattening, think twice about what you ate that day and if you perform enough activity to burn it off. You do not want to become obese and risk your health or maybe even your life, do you?