Not So Physical Education | Teen Ink

Not So Physical Education

January 10, 2013
By Desmothenes Locke GOLD, Cresskill, New Jersey
Desmothenes Locke GOLD, Cresskill, New Jersey
13 articles 0 photos 21 comments

For the kids of the 20th century, P.E. has turned into a joke. No longer are kids pressured to exercise and get in better shape. Kids can basically obtain absolutely nothing through the class, and get an A. Any sort of intense or action-packed games are dissolved. Dodge ball is gone. Was anyone complaining twenty years ago about kids getting hit in the head? No, because back then, kids learned to tough it out. Everything is toned down and underwhelming for many students. The few who enjoy P.E. nowadays are the kids who don’t want to work hard and exercise. Also, every year, students are taught the same rudimentary skills in gym class. For five years in a row, I’ve been shown how to dribble a basketball, throw a football and kick a soccerball. What is the point of teaching these skills if were not even going to advance upon them? And its not even like we learn it in-depth; we learn for maybe a couple of weeks at most. Why aren't there any level systems in P.E.? Why not segregating the nonathletic with the athletic kids? Oh because then the nonathletic kids will feel bad! Who cares! Every school has different levels of science, math, english… basically every subject. Why not have different levels in gym? The only difference is that gym is a physical activity. Physical or mental,certain people excel at different things. To hold people back who excel at something is detrimental and a waste. The school P.E. systems need to become more flexible and providing levels of P.E. Not to put the blame on the schools entirely, the students and parents are equally at fault. Schools are afraid to implement or do risky ideas because of the risk of angering parents or possibly getting sued. Parents need to learn how ridiculous they are being and students need to toughen up. Change is needed and needed now.


The author's comments:
Hey I'm just a boy with dreams.