Understanding Fear and Anxiety | Teen Ink

Understanding Fear and Anxiety

By OhSweetCatastrophe SILVER, Birmingham, Alabama
OhSweetCatastrophe SILVER, Birmingham, Alabama

According to the Webster`s Dictionary, fear is an unpleasant emotion caused by the belief that someone or something is dangerous, likely to cause pain, or a threat. You know what I think it means? A way to mess up and stop you from reaching your goals, and using your full potential. Come on, you know that you can do anything, but theres always that one thing standing in your way. Arent you tired of being scared? Dont you want to feel good and be able to sense the empowerment that has yet to course through your veins?
You know, there is a way to overcome the harsh times that fear brings. Again, what is fear? It always seems to unleash itself at the worst possible moments. You alwas think about the bad things that could happen, instead of focusing on all of the positives, or what we call, "what ifs".
What we need to do is learn how to train our minds to make us feel and bring out the amazing person that is inside all of us. You see, fear is an astonishing thing and we should be happy to possess such a fragile feeling because it gives us the ability to change and analyze exactly what`s going on. For example, we all have to do public speaking at one time or another. Yeah, sounds dreadful, right? Wrong. Lets state the obvious. Youre going to be nervous and youre going to feel all the bad adrenaline telling you, "Hey, lets get out of here, quick! Youre not going to do so well and you know it!"
That fear is starting to kick in again, but wait-what is fear? Lets assume that fear is a person. This "person" is trying to control you. It doesnt want you to accomplish anything. Fear never wants you to succeed. Ironically, it always gets what it wants. Shouldnt it be the other way around? It doesnt want the best for you. It just drags you down and makes you fill up with anxiety and despair. Ask yourself, do you really need someone in your life like that? Its much like an abusive relationship. Its hurting you.
Now, imagine that you got out of this relationship with fear. It always seems to creep back up on you, but you can get rid of it because you deserve better than to be scared all the time. You dont need a raincloud over you everywhere you go. You need the brightest and best future possible. You can do it too, just by changing your outlook on bad situations, that have the potential to be good.
The best way to do this is by telling fear, every time it comes around, to just go away in the meanest way possible. Tell it to flip off. Tell it that it isnt good for anything, and its not to bother you again. Tell it that you dont need it anymore because you know that nothing bad is going to happen because you know that youre going to do a good job, no matter what. And as you feel the good adrenaline rushing through your body, you can see all of the rewards you receive, just by tossing out fear because you deserve to be happy and feel unstoppable.

Be Original. Dont let fear take over.