Why Marijuana Shouldn't Be Legal (part 1) | Teen Ink

Why Marijuana Shouldn't Be Legal (part 1)

March 10, 2014
By Mishamigo DIAMOND, Newton, Kansas
Mishamigo DIAMOND, Newton, Kansas
54 articles 28 photos 24 comments

Favorite Quote:
We accept the love we think we deserve.


Pharmacists from Newton Medical Center
Allen Grimm stood on the pro-legalization side with the quote of “Let the idiots die.”
In an interview with Susan Fox from NMC, she said “I encourage my kids to make good choices. The legalization of marijuana is like approving of people to make a poor choice.”
Julie, a Pharmacy Technician, said “The heavy effects of it might not be noticeable at first but over time it wears your body down and kills brain cells.”
0/4 pharmacists at Newton Medical Center said they approve of recreationally used (Can increase psychosis)marijuana
THC, the active chemical in cannabis that gives off a high, is highly addictive and is in several other addictive drugs.
Mushrooms and Tobacco are both organic. One bite from the wrong mushroom could kill you, though, and tobacco, which is in cigarettes, can cause gum disease and lung cancer.
The only two medically known uses of the drug are for glaucoma, an eye disease, and chemotherapy for cancer patients. It’s only used for cancer patients because they at often times can’t eat or don’t feel hungry, so after using the medical form on it, they feel hungrier. Medical marijuana is a controlled substance, though, which means even that is addictive.
It shows up on drug tests, which would make it harder to get a job, and stays in your system for at least 7 days but can stay for as long as several months.

The US Liberals and Deborah White
“I have never heard of a valedictorian or a class president who smoked pot.” -Deb White
It kills brain cells which results in slower academic performance
We have enough problems in the US---obesity, alcoholism, teen pregnancy, diabetes, cancer, poverty, depression, self harming, suicide, etcetera...Why add another form of self harm to the list of problems that aren’t yet fixed?
Children’s Aid Society
Even though you have to be 21 to smoke it legally, it would still be more accessible to kids. Kids still find ways to get alcohol and cigarettes, they would most definitely find a way to get pot. Children’s brains aren’t fully developed so if they smoke it or are around someone who is smoking it--like family or friends--then it can cause damage to their brains which result in learning disabilities, schizophrenia, and psychosis.
Can cause dangerously increased heart rate and anxiety. It also has the same cancer causing compounds as other drugs like tobacco.
The University of Washington
After people, adults or not, smoke a certain amount of marijuana, they at often times develop certain mental disorders such as psychosis, schizophrenia, and anxiety. The drug causes them to not be able to distinguish what is real and what is not. If the drug is stopped, the disorder usually goes away.
Crime in Colorado has increased since Marijuana has been legalized.
KSN News
Colorado's governor is concerned about the idea of pot and if children could get it or not.
Colorado’s governor ALSO said that he wishes other states would wait to legalize marijuana a few years to see how it would turn out, because so far it wasn’t going too well.