Counting Calories | Teen Ink

Counting Calories

By alme3 DIAMOND, Double Oak, Texas
alme3 DIAMOND, Double Oak, Texas

"Love is friendship set on fire." -Jeremy Taylor

Trying to stick to a get-fit resolution can be tough, especially when it comes to eating out. But there is no need to fret. The Marquee discovered several healthy places that serve good-for-you foods without sacrificing great taste.

Corner Bakery Cafe
This quaint little cafe on the corner of the Shops at Highland Village is the go-to place for healthy homestyle cooking. Customers can choose from sandwiches and salads to soups and breakfast foods. Each item on the menu is labeled with the calorie count, so it's easy to decide what's best for every diet. The Pesto Cavatappi, a warm pasta topped with creamy pesto sauce and tender roasted chicken pieces, was delicious. At 600 calories, this pasta is perfect for sharing. Prices range from $3 to $10, which is exceptional for the amount of food that's served. Service is quick and friendly, and the small wooden tables and booths give the cafe a homey feel. This is definitely the place for a nice, healthy dinner out.
5 out of 5

Zoës Kitchen
A fun, bright restaurant on Long Prairie Road, Zoës is great for those looking to try something new. Originating from Mediterranean-inspired recipes, the menu is full of eclectic Greek foods like Greek Chicken Marinara pasta and Grüben, a type of grilled turkey sandwich. The Hummus and Pita plate, which features a large portion of the dip surrounded by soft, warm bread, was perfect for an afternoon snack. For those who have trouble finding all-veggie eateries, Zoës labels the vegetarian, vegan and gluten free foods on the menu. Their Dinners for Four range from $30 to $40, but almost everything else is under $10, making it easy on the wallet. The restaurant also supports local schools with their Zoës Kitchen Celebrates Children! Artwork Program.
4 out of 5

7 Pizza
When it comes to healthy food, pizza isn't exactly what comes to mind. But at 7 Pizza, formerly Z Pizza, the cheesy favorite is given a whole new identity. The crust is made regular, wheat or gluten free, and vegetarian and vegan pizzas are available. A slice of classic pepperoni, but with whole wheat crust for a healthy twist, made for a tasty lunch. The cheese is organic and the bread was filling without being too heavy. There is even an option to build your own, which allows the customer up to five toppings. Prices are a bit high - $5 for a slice and $10 to $20 for medium and large sizes - but the food is better quality. Not only is pizza served (and delivered), but the menu is full of other favorites like garlic bread and veggie-filled salads and sandwiches. A small, mom-and-pop type place, 7 Pizza is just around the bend of Cross Timbers Road.
4 out of 5

My Fit Foods
My Fit Foods has everything a customer needs from an on-the-go place that's still mindful of nutrition. Even the name is healthy. Located on Cross Timbers Road, My Fit Foods is a bit different from most restaurants. Large freezers full of boxed meals line the back wall - breakfast, lunch, dinner, dessert and even snacks. All the boxes are labeled with the calorie count and nutrition facts, and over 90 percent of their meals are gluten free. Customers can either buy their meals to take home and eat later or they can warm them up in the microwaves at the store. The boxed snack called Picnic Time, which was full of apples, grapes, almonds, crackers and Monterey Jack cheese, would serve as a great post-workout pick-me-up. The fruit was crisp and sweet and was balanced out nicely with the salted crackers and nuts. Some of the more popular meals include the Salmon and Quinoa lunch and the Chicken Berry Salad dinner. They also offer a 21 Day Challenge. Nutrition coaches form customized programs to help customers reach fitness goals. The first day meals are free.
5 out of 5

Review I wrote for my school's newspaper.