Ring, Ring, Ring | Teen Ink

Ring, Ring, Ring

December 1, 2008
By Hannah Crabtree BRONZE, Springfield, Illinois
Hannah Crabtree BRONZE, Springfield, Illinois
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Each November a radio station does a radioathon for a hospital. Most of the kids are struggling for life because they have cancer. I almost want to cry when I hear their stories or see their faces, but even though they do not have hair, or they cannot walk, they have a huge smile on their faces. The community of Springfield can help by calling and pledging a certain amount of money. When you enter St. John’s Children’s Hospital, all you hear is ring, ring, ring. All the ringing will almost make you go crazy but it does not matter it is for the kids. The story that touched my heart the most was a girl named Faith. One day she had a terrible nosebleed, one that lasted for hours. Her mom took her to the doctor. They took some blood samples. That night her bones hurt so badly, she could not walk. The doctor called; she had leukemia, which is a disease of the blood. Still today, faith is struggling with leukemia. Another story was Ella. Ella was born early. She had to go to NICU; NICU stands for Neonatal Intensive Care Unit. In the NICU, her heart rate was going down; it was not looking good for Ella. The doctor said she had a one percent chance of living. The doctor said “Would you rather have her die in your arms here, or die in your arms in the plane going to another hospital?” Ella survived the plane ride and is still alive today. Next time you hear these stories during the radioathon, remember to dial 544-kids; just $10.00 will give a child a teddy bear and brighten up their day.