Gaming Addiction | Teen Ink

Gaming Addiction

October 31, 2014
By Denisse Cortes BRONZE, Pacoima, California
Denisse Cortes BRONZE, Pacoima, California
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Xbox, Ps3, Wii U, and Nintendo DSI Xl are examples of gaming systems that  distract teenagers.


Gaming addiction is an excessive or compulsive use of  computer games and video games which interferes with a person's everyday life. Gaming addiction has a negative image and is effects a lot of teenagers.


Teenagers will spend hours playing videos games on the computer or any device and won’t stop until it’s 2 in the morning. For example in the article “In Korea, a Boot Camp Cure for Web Obsession” Martin Fackler describes the addiction of teenagers to being online. For instance, kids enjoy playing online with friends and eventually won’t be able to control themselves.The  Korea government came up with an idea to help teenagers end their obsession with camp. They try to show teenagers that there are many other things that are exciting than video games. Fackler explains this when he writes “He didn’t seem to be able to control himself.” This quote demonstrates that many kids play so much online that they can’t not control their mind.


Furthermore I have a little cousin that is obsessed with the game minecraft. Every time when he comes over my house he will bring his Ipad and play the whole day non-stop. My mom will try to persuade him into going outside and play with the other little kids or to go to the park and get ice cream and he will always yell, “NO, I NEED TO FIND DIAMONDS TO MAKE MY DIAMOND SWORD!“ 


In the article called “obsessed with the internet: A tale from china” Christopher S. Stewart  describes that there is a big problem in china that can cause full death from playing even though parents are willing to help. Kids who feel trapped in a camp that looks like a jailhouse cries at night wishes they can go home. “ He looked out and said get me out of here.”


Gaming addiction is all over the world and many ways to stop but a lot of teenagers, adults, and kids refuse to take that chance and miss an important opportunity outside the gaming life.