Change as it Relates to Humans | Teen Ink

Change as it Relates to Humans

February 24, 2015
By Anonymous

 Change is inevitable. Yet, humans beings often dread change as bodies age,  situations alter, and things beloved are succeeded by things new. But without change there would be a lack of growth-no strive towards perfection. Also, the character of a human being would not be tempered, tested, or proven; ones authentic self, or the honesty of a situation, would never be appreciated. Furthermore, change is innate to the cerebellum as it teaches survival. Change is positive for human beings because it allows improvement, it is revealing, and it is biologically correct.
   In the absence of change, the society or the individual could never improve. Writer Fred Strebeigh said, “For each spring comes round, the old fade and the young quicken.” Old ideas must be challenged, and eradicated if proven ineffective; new generations must adopt the conduct of old, or form new management. If this organic process- this change with time- ceases, then advancement cannot be possible. As society is not perfect, alterations must be made to the flawed portions or else civilization will never be satisfactory.  Change also aids the individual in striving for the divine self. As humans naturally succumb to vice and self-damage, it is critical to amend mistakes and modify ones person: this is called growth.
   Furthermore, change divulges the nature of both situations and the character of the individual. Ralph Waldo Emerson once declared, “How sad a spectacle, to see a young man after ten years in college education come out, ready for his voyage of life- and to see the entire ship is made of rotten, honeycombed, traditional timber without so much as an inch of plank in the hull.” Upon transitioning from being a pupil to a member of the work force, the true nature of the individual is exposed; in Emerson's scenario, the individual, although equipped with the promise of intelligence, lacks distinctiveness. This leads to waste, just as a ship without plank is considered rubbish. The same scenario can be interpreted to reveal the nature of the situation: it was a change in role that revealed the harshness of life to the student, and proved the ideal dream to be a severe, common reality.
   Finally, change is organic, and is welcomed by the encephalon.  According to author Nicholas Carr, “The brain is almost infinitely malleable.” Upon change being administered, the brain proves able to accept it; change is received almost casually as the brain will absorb the new stimuli, and adjusts itself. Carr further explains this with, “Thanks to our brain’s plasticity, the adaptation occurs also at a biological level.” The body is wired to tolerate novelty, as being able to conquer newness is essential to survival.  However, the mind is also naturally skeptical- which proves also to be a favorable tool- when presented with new situations. Cons must, as a general rule, also be weighed. Carr concedes: “Just as there’s a tendency to glorify technological progress, there’s a countertendency to expect the worst of every new tool or machine.”
   Ultimately, change is natural and positive for human beings. Growth is the prize taken from any variance in situation-whether it be for society or the person. Also, change is the great reveal; it shows the honest character of the individual, as well as the true nature of circumstance. Finally, it is biologically correct, as our brain has adapted to an inconsistent world. On a personal level, as well as a grander scale, change is inevitable; this being so, humans can choose to either embrace continual gain, or whither under constant loss.