Is America Killing Itself? | Teen Ink

Is America Killing Itself?

By Psquared GOLD, Poughkeepsie, New York
Psquared GOLD, Poughkeepsie, New York

If you want it, Go get it, no matter what it is in the way or the sacrifice for it.

Is America killing itself today? Yes, it is, and by one of the most dangerous and lethal addiction of all time, smoking. Smoking causes a lot of things, but people in America do this knowing that it does and the government of the USA allows it knowing that it does too. The government allows this.

Smoking makes money and the government pays for marketing cigarettes. The Federal Government of the United States of America makes about $25,000,000 for profit off tobacco each year. The USA government spends about 9.6 billion dollars for marketing tobacco. But the USA owes China about 16 trillion dollars, and this money that USA spends for marketing tobacco can go towards our debt towards China, instead we are marketing tobacco. The government is making money off people that are killing themselves.

Smoking causes diseases that can be permanent. Diseases such as: COPD (Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Diseases), Lung Cancer, Chronic Bronchitis, Emphysema, and worse asthma if victim has asthma already. These diseases are all caused by smoking, smoke entering to the lungs and creating tar that makes airflow much more difficult, and can cause infections and slows down brain cells, so you think slower, since oxygen is moving slowly in the lungs, that oxygen is barely getting to the brain and blood.

For the Christians out there, smoking is not just affecting smokers on a physical, mental, and medical level; it is also affecting smokers on a spiritual level. The Bible talks about hurting the temple (your body). When Jesus went to Heaven after he rose from the dead, the Holy Spirit came down into us to comfort us, so GOD never left us he is in us to guide us. But when you smoke, you are messing up your body and GOD gets mad because He is dwelling inside of  you and He does not want to dwell inside of a place that look like a Brooklyn alley. So since you are hurting your temple, you are sinning against GOD because the Bible basically says to not hurt the temple, GOD’s dwelling place. So when you smoke you sin against GOD, each time you do.

Do you know how many people die each year because of the fact people smoke? More than 500,000 people die each year in America.  More than 480,000 people that smoke die each year in America, and about 42,000 people die from secondhand smoking; medical definition of secondhand smoke: tobacco that is exhaled by a smoker or is given off by burning tobacco and is inhaled by persons nearby- called also passive smoke, according to i.word.com. Did you know that smokers die about 10 years earlier than non-smokers according to cdc.gov? The American government has been selling death to this country.

America is killing itself, suicide. The government of the United States of America has sold and is selling death to Americans that smoke and the people that don’t, but by secondhand smoking. And yes smokers choose to smoke, but the government allows them to though. Americans die each year because they are influenced, allowed, and tolerated to smoke by tobacco being marketed in the USA.

Smoking is a big issue in the USA and the Government is letting Americans kill their selves by selling a killer.