The Deadly Disease | Teen Ink

The Deadly Disease

By Shay.heart BRONZE, San Jacinto, California
Shay.heart BRONZE, San Jacinto, California

I remember the day when my mom had told me the news. I didn’t want her to worry about me so I tried to be strong. This was the day my mom told me she had breast cancer. I didn’t know how to react, millions of questions ran through my head, a million different feelings. Would my mom and I take another disneyland trip, would she ever drive me to school again, would she pack my lunches in the morning and yell at me when I did something dumb? Was I supposed to be sad or scared? I once heard her on the phone say “Yeah she took it really well and was strong about it.” Well truth is, I wasn’t, I was petrified and I wanted to cry, but I held it in as much as I could. I didn’t try to think about it, but how could I not? The thought of having a mom with breast cancer was breath taking, shocking and for a 6th grader hard to comprehend. I will never forget that feeling that I could lose my mom and thinking about a world without my mom. I never once thought that something like that would happen to my family until it did. Luckily I still have her to call mom and the experience has opened my eyes of how lucky I am to have my mom. To have someone to show me right from wrong and drive me to school in the mornings. My mom was a lot stronger than I ever could be or ever will be, but most of all she’s a survivor. I couldn’t be anymore thankful to grow up with such a great role model and supporter. Don’t take for granted what seems like nothing special but like they say, you don’t know what you have until it’s gone. My mom survived cancer but would grandma make it?