Feedback On Those Four Letters | Teen Ink

Feedback On Those Four Letters

By maryence SILVER, Brooklyn, New York
maryence SILVER, Brooklyn, New York

“Those Four Letters” is a phenomenal narrative by Georgina Torrance which captures her life with ADHD (Attention Deficit Hyperactive Disorder), and how this definition of what she calls: “quirks,” will not let her and other people sink to the bottom of society. Torrance summarizes life with ADHD and dealing with struggles most compared to fighting an uphill battle all the time. The author wants other people facing her same struggles not to give up, but to exhibit triumph over ones who may underestimate them. Clearly, Georgina Torrance has made pivotal strides with overcoming the stigma with ADHD, and crafts it into an anthem for anyone going through similar struggles.

A quote in “Those Four Letters” truly speaks to me. It states: “Having ADHD is like walking up a downward escalator. You work twice as hard as everyone else, and you look like a complete idiot in the process.” My life is captured through this quote. Even though ADHD does not affect me personally, I have to deal with my anger issues as a stigma for people to not see the bigger picture. Countless hours spent over five years trying to improve myself - but I always feel like I can’t have the same opportunities as my peers. The consequences of being a petulant third grader still follow me to my matured eighth-grade self, and every day I feel like a closed book. Georgina Torrance uses “Those Four Letters” as a way to express her frustration with not being taken seriously due to things out of her grasp.

Feedback for the January/February 2019 issue.