Feedback to “A Hungry Heart” | Teen Ink

Feedback to “A Hungry Heart”

By AshleyLiu SILVER, Brooklyn, New York
AshleyLiu SILVER, Brooklyn, New York

”A Hungry Heart,” a fiction piece written by Nicholas Lewis is a piece of fiction which presented a scenario to represent the lengths we would go for love. The piece follows the story as a character of the author’s name contemplates whether or not he should further his relationship with his cannibalistic girlfriend. He must make a choice: whether or not to cut his hand off if he is to still remain with Eve. In the end, he arrives at her house with a shoebox in his hand, presumably his hand being in it.

I was shocked by the ending, and recall asking myself who would lose a limb to remain with someone who follows terrible traditions? But the message was universal- losing touch with a person one cares about can be heart wrenching. The following line truly highlights the desire to be with someone who shares feelings for you, and what it would mean to leave them. “Without her, I’ll be alone.” This piece of fiction provided more than a story- it put me in the perspective of what people would give so they can remain with their beloved.