Feedback on “What He Gave To Me” | Teen Ink

Feedback on “What He Gave To Me”

February 8, 2019
By Anonymous

“What He Gave to Me” by “Jane,” is an outstanding memoir about a girl who reflects on how amazing her boyfriend, Morgan, makes her feel about herself. She discusses the way she gets butterflies in her stomach when she think about him and how she pays attention to the little things, like his eyes. She says, “His eyes tell the whole story.”  The author, aslo, touches upon the little things, a bracelet and necklace her boyfriend gave her. She describes the two “glimmering emerald stones” and how it is hanging, loosely on her middle finger. She remembers a time before she met Morgan and explains how it felt like she didn’t matter. “One day I would want to give up on everything and never move a muscle,” the author said, contrasting it with how she feels now that she has met Morgan.

I have never felt what the author describes, but I have come close, in terms of her feelings that “lifting a finger is barely ever worth it.” You start to feel that way when the one you love doesn’t know or doesn’t care how you feel. The author, on the other hand, has overcome these feelings because of Morgan. She states, “I used to spend consecutive nights feeling sad and alone. I know the world is not going to end. I know that my life is not over, but don’t you ever just get that feeling in the pit of your stomach? Like lifting a finger is barely even worth it? Things are different with Morgan.”  The author beautifully ends this quote with a reassuring statement that she no longer feels worthless, now that she has Morgan.